A photo I took this morning! Looking for feedback

What technical feedback would you like if any?

There were no real foreground elements in the area, I tried to use the rocks under the water as a foregrojng element. Could this be cropped better??

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Editing / Cropping

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the comp and at first I was thinking you could crop it but maybe what it really needs is to drop the intensity of the green at the top. My eye keeps getting drawn to the foliage and that bright green. The subject is the waterfall but it doesn’t draw my eye as much as the foliage. Maybe desaturating it and darkening the top would balance the image more than a crop by drawing the viewers eye to the center of the fall area? There are nice lines created by the cliffs and rocks and I like the subtle foreground - I would try to keep those.
Hope that’s useful.

1 Like

I agree with John on the brighter green/light at the top. If they were closer to the water stream that would be different. I personally love the foreground and wouldn’t crop out much.

1 Like

I think the composition is great. No crop needed. A little breathing room draws the viewers into the image.

I find the bright reflections in the water to be too bright, causing fixation. I also recommend cloning the foam bits out of the lower middle.

I really like the lines!

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Nice scene. I particularly like the colour of the water and the space at the bottom of the frame works for me.

I also find the green bright foliage at the top slightly distracting. I’d consider a a slight crop to the top and to add a little bit of mid-tone contrast to the image. I’d look at the luminosity of the waterfall reflection to make sure that it’s not brighter than the waterfall itself.

1 Like

I love this image and, personally, wouldn’t change much. I definitely wouldn’t add clarity or contrast. The image has an ethereal feel to it that benefits from the softness. You have used the underwater stones to great effect and combined with the light reflection, adds great depth to the image . Okay, maybe a couple of minor nits - yes, I agree, bring down the brightness in the reflection but, really, not too much and the same for the greenery at the top, but again, not too much, just so it doesn’t compete overly with the light of the falls. I like the way the coppery highlights on either side of the falls climax with the burst of colour up top. I would definitely not clone away the the phosphorous on the left. For me it adds the right amount of imperfection to the scene. Beautifully seen and executed.

Thank you for the feed back John! Now that you mention it, that’s all my eye is drawn to as well! I will go back and tweak and de-saturate these areas! Thanks again!

1 Like

Awesome; thank you for the feedback Greg!

Taking a second look at this image, I am now noticing all the messy bits in the photo! I am definitely going to spend some time cleaning it up! Thanks again!

Great, Thank you for the feedback! And yes I think the reflection is a tad brighter than the falls, which I am going to go back and tweak! Thanks again!

Thank you very much Kerry! Full disclosure on this image; I arrived at this scene and randomly plopped my tripod down directly dead center, head on, chest level at the falls and began testing exposures to see what worked well with the water flow. When I finally settled on a shutter speed, I began playing around with compositions, shooting through trees, behind protruding rocks in the foreground etc. I took about 20 different compositions, however when reviewing the photos, the one I like most was my first test image that was not even consciously composed. Funny how that works sometimes! Thanks again for the feedback!

Welcome to NPN Mark,

Funny how our intuition seems to guide us so well sometimes. Case in point, your photo. The lines in the rock wall draw the eye right into the ribbon falls. So do the FG rocks and how they clear away for the reflection. Great composition. I can sense the atmosphere was probably a bit foggy or at least very humid. I might try a slight bump up in contrast to give some of the colors in the rock wall a slight boost.

Interesting background on the comp; I agree that this version is great. I wouldn’t crop it myself. I could see lightening that upper right dark area a tad, but this is very nice as is.