A Rose

The International Rose Test Garden here in Portland is struggling to yield healthy roses this year. Partly due to the cool, wet, fall-like weather, I think. The ground is saturated and the blooms seem damaged upon opening up. It’s a struggle to get much of anything worth keeping. I was there yesterday and was joined by the cool weather and fairly strong wind. So, left the tripod, boosted the ISO a bit and tried for some handheld closeups.

I like how the petals aren’t symmetrical at all, the overall irregular shape helps to make it a unique take.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this work for you? Is the shallow DOF too shallow? I added a fairly strong vignette to reduce the noisy background. Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

110mm with 18mm extension tube, 1/105 sec @ f/4, ISO 500, handheld.

1 Like

Good framing, color and camera angle. I think the DOF is betwixt and between. Either all in focus or more out of focus might work better. The bit of green at the top is a bit distracting.

You made the best (i.e. really nice!) of a difficult situation. Even perfect roses in still air are difficult to present. There is enough in focus here for me, and the center swirl is wonderful! I don’t mind the leaf, and might wonder if there is more very subtle detail to be found in the BG. I could go for just a bit more breathing room in the frame, with top, right and bottom matching the room on the left.

Lovely color. My vote would be a bit more in focus. It’s such a small amount it takes a moment for my eye to have a place to land.