A sensitive spot

More minimalist joy in the winter forest floor.

This time the spore casings of a sensitive fern. They’re called that because they are one of the first fern species to wither and die back when colder temperatures creep into the late summer and early fall. I’m thinking about starting a more concerted project around ferns. So far I’ve photographed them avidly, but sporadically.

I was drawn to this little scene because of the subject, but also because of the way the snow was sculpted around it - there’s a little divot just behind that showed up nicely, but not in a way to overwhelm. Just to frame and give some sense of space.

Specific Feedback Requested

I took several shots, but liked this one best in terms of flow and orientation. Does it work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld with camera down low and using the screen flipped up to compose

Lr for all processing including a little wb tweak and a crop. Lowered highlights and blacks, raised whites and shadows, mostly to bring up the color and texture in the spore casings. Also some texture and clarity and sharpening. Massaged color sliders to tease apart the red and yellows so the structures became more apparent. Believe it or not, the snow really was that clean and I didn’t have to clone away anything!

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

One of the best minimalist images I have seen, Kris. I love the way the snow seems to cradle the plant. The shallow focus really works too. Love it.

I like that you can just make out the layers of snow. Delicate all around.

Often less is more - well done @Kris_Smith !

Thanks @David_Bostock, @CharlesV & @Karl_Zuzarte - I’m glad it’s successful. I love these kinds of shots and hope I’m getting better at them.

Oh, this is different in a very appealing way. The off-center composition, the curve of the snow-line, and the faint texture of the snow contribute to make this minimalist image still strike the right notes.

Yes, by all means, go for the fern images. You’ve got an eye for them. Would love to see what you come up with.

(Adds a 10 gallon drum of bug spray to shopping cart)

Yeah, I think I will do something with ferns. Thanks for the encouragement, @Tony_Kuyper. I won’t even have to leave the yard for a lot of it.