A wider view

I borrowed an RF 16mm f/2.8 lens for a trip this summer to try out a bit of wide-angle close-up photography. The lens only goes to 0,26x magnification, but it was enough to have some fun with and I’ll definitely try to add something wide with good close-up functionality for next season. Normally I shoot butterflies with a longer lens, but this White-letter Hairstreak was kind enough to let me get really close for a wide shot I really like the perspective.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything really, but most importantly is there enough impact from the wide-angle perspective? Anything else I could think of more with wide-angle close-ups? The light was really flat in this instance and I tried to brighten the front flowers and butterfly to make them stand out - was this successful/natural looking?

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP and RF 16mm f/2,8 @ f/11, 1/250s, ISO 640. Hand-held in natural light

Hi Ingemar thanks for posting. Another excellent image. This type of macro photography is very much in vogue at the moment. It is also a technique that I like to practice myself when the right opportunities present themselves. Hairstreaks always fascinate me and they are often challenging to photograph. The image has impact for sure. Only a couple of points which perhaps were not possible at the time. If you could have managed to eliminate the fly by waiting a few moments, but that might not have been possible. Also a marginal shift in position if the butterfly was moving around to reduce or eliminate to back flower. Again this might not have been possible. But theses are just minor suggestions its a lovely in-situ image!

Wonderful environmental macro!! I love the sharpness on the subject with lovely softness in the BG. OOF things in the FG are often distracting but the piece of flower in the LL here is pleasing, possibly because it is nicely blended with the in-focus pieces just behind it.

VERY minor nit, but my eye goes to the vertical clearer sky area in the UL. A tiny crop from the L would eliminate it.

Hi

Thank you both @Robert_Thompson and @Diane_Miller for kind words and nice suggestions for improvements.