Amber one

I continue on the fly theme… Was out in the local botanical gardens showing a colleague from work how to use diffused flash when shooting bugs. Didn’t get that many shots myself, but this little fellow (~4-5 mm) did get caught. It’s a rather plain insect portrait, but I really like the color and the almost translucent qualities of the fly together with the simple background.

Specific Feedback Requested

This is a manual composite. I changed the angle of view too much for Zerene to do a successful stack. Did I miss anything? Other than that any comments are welcome as well as I suggested ID

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP, Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x macro lens, diffused Godox v350 flash. 1/180s, f11 @ ISO 800. Two exposure composite. Cropped down from 26 to ~9 megapixels. Further reduction in size for web caused a little moire in the eye. Wild and free subject.

Ingemar, if you missed anything I sure can’t see it. This is really excellent, in my opinion. Wonderful details in the eyes especially. The lighting looks natural, and I love the color of the fly with the shades of green. I can’t think of anything that would improve the shot.

Spectacular detail!! I can’t see any flaws in stacking. Small nit but lighting is a bit flat – I wonder if it’s possible to make one side of the flash brighter than the other by moving the diffuser away from the flash and off-axis a bit.

Igemar, the details in the fly (especially the hair on it’s back and legs) are outstanding. The translucency of the fly is good also. My one thought compositionaly would be to move the fly a bit higher and a bit more to the right in the frame. In the larger view I see stacking issues…in particular there’s a soft “line” along the lower part of the thorax and abdomen, with sharper parts both above and below, however showing at NPN regular size makes that very hard to see. The eye looks great!

Hi

Have been on a little vacation so here is a late thank you to @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller, and @Mark_Seaver for your kind comments and tips for improvements. It seems I’m due for a reprocessing of this image! It’s so great to be able to receive such detailed feedback.

1 Like