After a long day

Specific Feedback Requested

Let me begin by saying I am not a wildlife photographer, not in the least. I have neither the patience nor the gear to make a go of it. That being said, I have nothing but admiration for those that do. Sometimes, however, a great shot lands in your lap. On this occasion, my wife and I were sipping a bush martini on a very remote campsite on a very remote lake in Northeastern Manitoba when a couple of river otters climbed out on shore right in front of us. It only took them a moment to realize they were staring two humans in the face before they hightailed it back to the water, popped their heads up and gave us both a good lecture on proper otter etiquette – i.e., it’s their shore, get the bleep off their property! Anyway, about fifteen minutes later my wife wondered if they were anywhere nearby and looked around the corner to see them both cuddling with each other on shore. The light was fading, my long lens is slow, but I went and got it anyway. I took, maybe sixty frames hand-held in low light and, surprise, surprise, this was about the only one in focus. Not an action shot but still captures the delightful, intelligence of these adorable creatures. I would love to get a bit of feedback from those of you who do this sort of thing a lot more than me.

Technical Details

1 Like

An interesting frame and I find the Otter quite relaxed.
I’m seeing a blue cast, especially in shadow areas and I would prefer the foreground to be not as sharp as the otter.

I can’t believe I forgot to come back for this one, Kerry. I love the story almost as much as the photo even if it is just a grab-shot. Sometimes those intimate experiences of nature are what keep us coming back. The unexpected attention or just ease with our presence is a gift. One that isn’t bestowed on us from certain animals very much and so it makes it all the more special. Your moments with this otter will resonate with you for years and every time you see a picture of one, you’ll remember it. I do with the otter encounter I posted shots of on NPN this summer. And I’ll go back to seek them out again.