Breakfast w/Rework

Color Balance Correction:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Northern River Otter (lontra canadensis)

I don’t get much of an opportunity to photograph non-avian wildlife, but this fellow just came up along the edge of the lake as I was photographing birds. This was a quick reaction shot, I didn’t have any time to zoom out to get the whole body, but then it was mostly underwater anyway. And, this comp feels like the whole story anyway…

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. It was a mostly clear blue sky morning, I think the water reflection colors are good, but let me know if they’re off.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/640sec @ f/8, ISO 320

1 Like

Well done. I like this pose a lot and it looking at you adds to the fun along with its interesting reflection. I don’t have the urge to see any more of its body. Right place, right time!

Oh what a cutie. I love otters. Well, except when they poop on my lawn. That stuff can literally be weaponized. Certainly kills my lawn. Anyway, I love the pose and the ripple in front. That fish is toast. It does appear a bit cyan, your nemesis, I know. I don’t think we need to see more of it even if it was above water, this engaging look while doing what it does best. Congrats on catching this - I know from experience how fast they are and disappear in the blink of an eye.

What’s not to like about otters, so long as you don’t get too close. Love the look of “You’re not sharing my breakfast” and the raised eyebrows. Fine focus and composition, especially as you had so little time. Well done.

The composition is perfect – great reaction time! I love this image but I’m holding my nose…

@Dave_Douglass, @Kris_Smith, @Mike_Friel, and @Diane_Miller thank you for the comments. Much appreciated. I’ve posted an update above that, I hope has corrected the color cast. Let me know either way, please.

Diane, I’m kinda dense (of course), what’s the holding my nose reference? :thinking:

This could be a poster for breath mints! (But that’s extrapolating from my familiarity with seals.)

David: a very enjoyable behaviorable photo of the otter. It is nicely surrounded by the wake and seeing the just caught fish tells a good story.

Awww, I do love river otters, and just the last few years where I live, I’ve seen some locally. They do remind me of my cocker spaniels eyes, big round things staring when she wants something. Wonderful capture and the fish is a bonus. Thanks for sharing, it made me smile.

My first thought was, well done not blowing out the fish! It’s too easy to do that with otter scenes.

I do like the shape here quite a bit, especially with the curved ripple bordering the otter. The placement in the frame works well, but a pano crop could also work to emphasize the shape even more. Frankly, the tones in both versions worked for me… only a subtle difference, but I do prefer the cooler tones in the reworked version.

Wow, what a great catch! For you and the otter! We see them here and there, and it’s always a surprise. Beautiful picture.