After Sunrise

Description: I ride my bike to the top of this hill almost everyday and it always looks different. This was around 6:30 so the sun had been up about a half hour.

Specific Feedback Requested: Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, 18mm, 1/50, f/10, ISO 100, did minor adjustments in blacks, whites, shadows, contrast, highlights

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Good looking field and has some potential. I ran this through Camera Raw which is basically Lightroom and increased overall saturation and hit ‘auto’ on the white balance (I think the image was too cool for the time of day, but that’s just me). I then added a couple of graduated filters - the sky got some increased saturation, dehaze and clarity and I lowered the whites, too. A slice on the bottom - basically the greens got desaturated a little and the exposure lifted. Then I did a little crop. Hope you like the results. You go by some pretty terrific scenery.

2 Likes

Vanessa, that is a great sky. The fence also provides a nice foundation to the scene, making it more interesting than it would be with just a meadow alone. I really like what @Kris_Smith did to the processing in her rework. Not only does it address highlight and shadow recovery, I think adding some warmth and a bit of color saturation helps a lot.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Ed_McGuirk for looking and your feedback. Yeah, it is a really pretty area, the only thing I hate is there’s so many power lines and posts and towers in the way of so many good views! It takes a lot to get them out of the way, and some things I just don’t even try! Yes, I like what you did to it, @Kris_Smith ! I’m always scared to mess with the colors for fear that it will look unnatural or like a HD scape photo… But I tried to do with it what I could, what do you think?...

I think it looks awful what I did! @Kris_Smith @Ed_McGuirk I probably should take some lessons in pp. Even though it’s really hard for me to not get hands on training…

Well it’s close. Keep in mind that I’ve been using Lightroom for over 10 years and believe me, some of my early work is cringe-worthy.

Border patrol - that is looking at things at the edges of a photo that distract the eye - that leaf in the LLC for example, I cropped it out. Ditto the one midline. Little things make a big difference. It’s also important to experiment with sliders and things so you know how they work and how much of an effect they will have. That way you can fully realize your vision for a photo. Your work doesn’t stop in the field. :grin:

Oh yeah, I see the LLC leaf now! I was mainly seeing that you had cropped out some trees on the left by the hill. Not sure which leaf you mean midline…but, thanks for your help and encouragement…I’ve mainly done some major video courses but all focused on in the field. Which I’ve only really been doing for about 2 years in total. So, I know I have a long way to go!