After The Rain Has Gone

If I have to decide to go out or not, I opt for going out; especially after there has been rain. There had been some afternoon showers and I always tend to head over to the ocean to check how the clouds would be. On this particular day, I decided to head to an area that was not really beachy but it sits off in a neighborhood that is great little secret.

I took images from various spots but was really drawn to this vantage point.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to all comments.

Technical Details

Canon 6DM2, f/4, 1/80sec, 45mm
Edited in LR and PS

Angela!!!

Came in with the sweeping shore line composition aye :wink:?!?!?

You have a lot of interesting elements here, that are coming together with your composition. I think there’s some minor tweaks you can do to make this better. Just needs a little TLC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

First thing I would do is crop some off the right of the frame where the rocks and grass meet, then some of the top of the frame where the sky is bright, and almost blown out. That part of the sky isn’t adding anything to this scene. Next, if you use the Tony Kuyper luminosity masks, you can bring up a darks mask, for the dark, almost black shadows, and open those shadows up on that luminosity mask. Lastly I would play with the overall mid tone contrast in the scene. The scene feels a little bright, but I think there’s some room to adjust those mid tones. I will attach an image for reference. If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out!

DT

e509e2c5d50a71b0ec1409168bac19cbb4b3bd96_2_690x460

@David_Thompson thank you so much for the tips. I haven’t worked with the Tony Kuyper luminosity masks, but look forward to doing so. I clearly see what you mean by the cropping, it helps to have another set of eyes to see what is missed. I will take you up on reaching out for sure.

1 Like

A lovely viewpoint that appropriately asserts itself over the human footprints in the BG. I think the sky is gorgeous and wonder if there is a way to lower the highlights at the top to avoid the crop. I find it pleasant that the clouds mostly come to a stop on their own. (That could even be emphasized a bit with some subtle cloning.) I also wonder if the ice plant on the right could be darkened a bit instead of the crop from the right. It is a lovely color but that pulls my eye a bit. I do like it as a framing element, though.

The scene is lovely and peaceful with gorgeous lighting, but the rocks and ocean feel a bit heavy, with a slightly over-tonemapped look. I’m wondering how it might compare with the water subdued by a longer SS. But that’s just idle mental wandering around in a very lovely scene.

1 Like

Hi Diane, thank you so much for the critique. I’m going to be playing around with the image to see what improvements I can make.