After the rain

Weekly Challenge

Natural Calligraphy
9/20/26 - 9/26/26
Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

I love these types of closeups with nature. But there is so much to choose from out in the field, I’d love some composition feedback.

Feedback Requested

I’d love to know how this image strikes you. What would you do differently.

Technical Details

Camera: OM-5MarkII
Lens: OM 20mm F1.4
Focal length: 20mm
Shutter speed: 1/160s
Aperture: f/1.6
ISO: 200

Steve, welcome to the Weekly Challenge. I like how the focus (and near focus) angles across the frame. The water drops show up well. As always, in close-up/macro work, depth-of-field is the major challenge. I think this would be improved if you could have gotten more of the leaves and drops in the upper right sharp (er??). As presented you could crop to emphasize the sharp leaves in the lower left. I also think this is a bit dark, although the oof drops in the upper right corner may be overexposed. The darkness does have the advantage of setting a mood, feels like it may still be raining or the the clouds are still heavy. It’s your prerogative as the presenter to set the mood.

1 Like

Steve: I’m a fan of shallow DOF images so this does work for me pretty much as is. I do like the darkness and the mood you have. Well seen and nicely presented and welcome to the WC community.>=))>

These sort of images can be very fascinating - i too like the shallower DOF - since you asked about composition, i played around with it and processed a bit differently - absolutely a personal taste though