Aiming

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

I put this under wildlife, birds AND macro. To me, shooting hummers is a macrophotography endeavor. He is attacking a bush, and the bush was chaotic, as bushes will be. So I felt this was distracting and simplified to what you see here. I used the golden triangle for composition, as this, to me, is an action shot. On the bird, I did not do anything. No sharpening, no saturation, no nothing. Have at it my friends, I look forward to your comments.

Feedback Requested

How is the composition? Does it communicate ENERGY? Is there any sharpening needed to bring out more details, or is it workable as is?

Technical Details

Nikon D800 camera, Nikkor 300mm f4 lens

f5.6 at 1/5000 sec, ISO 640

For a hummer shot, the sharpness looks fine to me. As for composition, well, that gets five stars, owing to the line right across the frame, from leaves to bloom to bill to head to wings. Yes, it communicates energy and thrust. If you were to clone out the lower flower (and even the more distant leaves) that line and feeling would be even stronger, but it’s excellent as is.

I like it. I pretty much agree with Mike on this one. However, I think it’s OK to leave the bottom flower and not clean it out. You did a really good job not processing the hummingbird. I think that’s why I like it.

Close examination of the image reveals some speckling/noise in the BG and the hummingbird needs some sharpening and micro-contrast enhancement to get the feather details visible. Hummingbirds have thick, stiff feathers on the head and this feature is not apparent in the subject. The pose and the overall comp are nice…Jim

It doesn’t say energy to me because the pose is somewhat static. A different angle and/or wing position would probably convey energy more effectively. As a portrait it works well - the side light brings out some modeling and texture, although it looks like it might be a big crop…not sure as you don’t say, but that could account for the somewhat soft appearance of the feathers and the blotchy background. Hummingbird photos are SO HARD which means don’t give up! The background looks favorable as do the flowers and the colors mimic those in the plumage and I like that a lot here.

Nicely composed Steve and I like the pose of the hummer, soft background, and placement of the flowers on the left of the frame. I think the bird could use some sharpening. I use Smart Sharpening on subjects only. The image does communicate energy to my eye as the bird goes after the flower and reminds me of all the times I’ve seen these birds on the move.

A nice composition, Steve. Yes , it does convey energy to me, though whether it would to someone not familiar with these guys, I’m not quite so sure. It looks to me as if the focus was just slightly off-always an issue with hummingbirds as sometimes the AF catches the wrong thing. With the eye AF feature on the newest cameras, it’s usually pretty good, but when I was shooting DSLR, I’d use the smallest AF area possible on hummingbirds and tray to get it on the head-not always easy and the wings often obscure the head momentarily which doesn’t help any. All in all, this is a very nice image of the Rufous hummingbird and as someone mentioned above, just keep trying.

Nice capture. I like to try and get moments of hummer’s action and find it to be pretty challenging. Way to go.

Steve, the composition looks good as it shows both the hummer and it’s target well. The pose is nicely active. I agree with the others that in the largest view, the details in the feathers look a bit soft. Since both smaller versions look good, I too am guessing that this is a large crop. A micro contrast adjustment might help. (It’s the clarity adjustment in Adobe products, otherwise you can do an internet search to find out how to do it yourself using unsharp mask.)

Steve: What @Mark_Seaver said. I would be thrilled to have this experience and image in my bag. Beautiful bird very nicely captured. >=))>

I like this a lot, Steve. As Bill said, I’d be happy to have this shot. Yes, the head could be sharper, but I don’t think that’s obvious when looking at the image as a whole, which I feel is the point of the image. I like the repeating colors of the flower, bird and background. I like the pose of the hummer; there is a sense of energy as it’s “attacking” the flower. Very well captured.