Alabama Hills in the snow

Hi Everyone,

This series of shots are from a recent trip to the Alabama Hills California. I woke with the intention of getting shots of the sunrise on Mt Whitney but the snow cancelled that plan. Even though it was snowing and cloudy where I was the sky was clear to the east so I waited around to see what would happen and these are a few of the result. I had to work quick because I was not thinking I would shoot ( and was avoiding the cold in my car :slight_smile: ) Most of my shots that morning were handheld with either a 16-35mm or a 70-210mm.

I would like any and all criticism or suggestions ( minus not being lazy and getting out of my warm car to set up shots before hand :wink: ) of how you all would work these photos - or leave them alone. I have been having a hard time lately knowing what I want when processing my images. Any insight, info or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
John Scane

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

John,

Looks like you took advantage of some great wintery conditions in the Alabama Hills. That’s a special place, but add some snow and the opportunities become even greater.

I like them all, but torn between the first two as to which I like best. The processing in the first looks great. I’m a little unsure about the centered rock. Not sure what your options were left/right or your vantage point, I can’t really see a viable crop as the light streaking across the bottom and catching the rocks, snow and sage really adds a great element to the scene. Oh, and the falling snow is cool too.

I really like the atmosphere, composition as well as the light you’ve captured in this one (#2). Two comments. First, I’m wishing for a bit more breathing room up top; given the atmosphere/mood, having some space all the way around wouldn’t hurt. Second, I thought the color balance was a little off, but couldn’t figure it out until I brought it in to PS. The shadows are very strongly blue. Not sure if you use TK’s Luminosity masks, but in general you can set a black point for the darkest shadow areas. I used a Darks 4 Luminosity mask, set the black point; shadows are neutralized and the image actually warmed up nicely. I can post if you like.

The light, colors and processing on the third look great. An excellent near/far composition.

Great images!

Lon

Lon
I have a bunch of shots and I will see what I have that would take some of those compositional ideas into account. I had not prepared myself so I had to spray and pray a bit :slight_smile:
The first image I processed fairly close to what I got out of camera.
#2 is a stitched shot of 2 images and I am playing around with some gradient mapping trying different colors. Also, I had to “add” quite a bit of content aware fill to the image as it is so I could probably “expand” the sky a bit to give it more space. This image is a work in progress for sure as I am trying out different things - I’d love to see what you did with the image.

Thanks for all your feedback, really appreciate it!

I really like the first one (but the others work well too). The light is really good and the background fog makes for a great mood. The second does feel a bit tight at the top, but not a biggie for me.

Thanks Harley,

I’m going to keep playing with the 2nd one and see what I come up with.
I guess that’s part of the “problem” I’m having lately is there are so many options…
where do I stop.
Good problems to have.

John, thanks for the response and extra info. “Gradient mapping” goes well beyond my expertise, so I’m guessing my technique won’t be anything new… :wink: Also, we’re in to the subjective, personal preference arena anyway, so really it’s just a matter of how you want things to look.

As I mentioned, I took a darks luminosity mask in a Levels layer and adjusted the black pt. to the darkest little crevice I could find. I did take a peek with the Color picker to confirm the extra blue in the shadows. This warmed things up - or at least neutralized the shadows and tightened up the contrast a bit.

Next, I increased the canvas up top. Then on a duplicated bg layer, I did a rectangular selection of the clouds above the top of the rock. Then using the transform/scale I stretched the clouds up top for some extra room. This works really well, especially in a scene like this where with clouds, there is no reference to scale, etc.

Lastly, and even more subjective. I took a Select Color adj layer and basically increased yellow and cyan, and dropped magenta in both the whites and neutral tones.

Your mileage may vary… but here’s my quick take.

1 Like

Thanks Lon!

Really helpful feedback. I like the image with more headroom, I will try that same thing, thanks for explaining how you did it. My skills in PS are just enough to be dangerous ( to my images ) There is so much you can do with that program.
Your image actually looks more like the RAW file.
I guess the difficult part is figuring out what I want it to look like :neutral_face:…any insight as to how you approach that?

Anyone reading this, please feel free to chime in :slight_smile:

Great question! And no right or wrong answer. One thing you can do is turn the question around. It’s not what you want the scene to be, but what is the scene trying to tell you? Is it about color? contrasts, mood, drama, isolation, grandeur? One piece of advice from Mr. Tony Kuyper who once said or wrote: “Take the image where IT wants to go…” What is the scene expressing to you? Then go there.

If you haven’t already, learn to recognize and remember the colors, the light, etc., at the time you captured the image. I’ve often made it a point to observe the white balance and color of light at the moment I’m out shooting. I’ve asked my friends if out shooting with others, “what color do you see?” For example, we think snow should be white? Well, it’s not, if it’s in the shady side of a mountain or in thick overcast? The absence of yellow light, makes the snow more blue… of course now is when we apply our own subject tastes as to whether or not we want to present that blue, increase or even make it go away. But recognizing the condition at the time of capture should help when it comes time to process the image.

Here’s an example. Just yesterday, I was out chasing the light as more storms and clouds pass through California. The moon is approaching full and was out as well. I went to my standby tree on the hill to get the moon with the tree. Clouds, light coming and going, fun. When I captured an image and reviewed on the LCD, the color of blue wasn’t anything like I was seeing in the sky with my own eyes. And knowing there a half dozen or more WB settings as well as 37 other in camera settings that affect color, saturation, etc., etc., etc., how can I rely on what the camera says is the color? I have to rely on what I think I remember. It’s a difficult thing, I think.

Ok, 'nough for now. Like you asked, hopefully others will chime in.

Lon

2 Likes

John, while like all three images, I especially like and enjoy the first one. The light is wonderful and the detail is excellent. The centered rock does not bother me.

You could crop from the left to eliminate the large rock that goes out the top of the frame, though.

I like the misty mood of the second image, and I think Lon nailed the processing.

In the third on, I like the near/far perspective but the centered sage is a little overwhelming. The light and color look good on this one.

I have spent a lot of time in this area over many years, and always appreciate nice images from there.
-P

1 Like

Absolutely love the light here, especially in the first image! I think I’d maybe crop towards the Right side and lean heavy into the contrast to really accentuate the dramatic light. Also, the back round in that part of the image is really special. Maybe consider pulling the highlights and do some selective editing there to show off the flow happening right where the rocks meet the clouds.

1 Like

Way to make hay while the snow was sticking. This is such a special area, and I really like this unique take on the rock formations, Nothing to add that hasn’t been noted above.
ML

1 Like

I think the first two images are really excellent. If I had to choose between them it would be the first one for the warmth the sunshine provides and that wonderful sky with the blue opening. The rock also has a bit of a personality in my opinion.

The second image is actually more artistic in how the rocks appear out of the fog. Lon’s alternative is good but I think its just a personal preference on what color cast you prefer. I like em both.

This is an interesting quote.

1 Like

John,

Don’t you just love those unexpected moments of light in unique circumstances? Then you work to try and share that moment as best you can with a wider audience hoping some of them are able to feel a glimmer of your enjoyment.

Many good comments on the images and Lon’s edit is well done. Personally I feel the warmth in the first image is wonderful and contrasts with the natural blue tone from a snowy landscape (yes snow is white but it FEELS blue). If the highlights in the second image were warmed up with a bit of brush in from the right to accent direction it would truly feel magical.

Personal opinion only on the processing. Good work on the capture with focus and depth of field.

Sincerely,

David

1 Like

Thanks Lon, very insightful and it’s always great to hear how others approach the creative process. I do many of those things myself. I used to play with the white balance more, but lately have been just setting it to 5200K and leaving it, then adjusting later.

BTW, sorry for replying so late, had my daughter with me all weekend.

I really like the first one, especially the light. I did find the high rock on the left a little distracting though. I made a slight crop to eliminate just the higher portion (and a slight vignette) that keep my eye drawn primarily to just the central cluster of rocks.

1 Like

Dan, Thanks for the feedback. I’ll play around with the image and put some of those suggestions into it to see what I come up with.

Thanks David,

Yes, I do love those moments, they a big part of what photography is for me (when I’m lucky enough that they happen). All the comments I’ve been getting are really helpful and giving me some different ways to think about what I’m trying to do. Thanks for adding yours! I’ll try warming up those highlights again and see what I come up with.

Thanks Rick and Preston, I was feeling the same way about that rock and have a version similar to your edit. I couldn’t decide which I like best so I went with the un-cropped version to post here. It’s a tough one because I do like your version too.