Alabama Hills

This is the Alabama Hills Earlier this year before Covid-19 struck. What caught my eye was the light beams painting the rocks and the mountains. I turned it into a black and white because it seemed to depict a more contrasty scene that I remembered rendering it more ominous than the color version. I’ve included both for you to compare and I would like to hear your thoughts on your preferences. Thanks in advance for taking the time to view. Your comments and suggestions are always invaluable.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all (black and white or color)

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon Z7, 24-70mm Z7 lens, ISO 64, 32.5mm, .4seconds @f/8

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single exposure

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Both are outstanding images David. While the color image is beautiful, I prefer the B&W for the drama it presents.

I much prefer the B&W. This is a case where I find the colour, though beautiful, is actually distracting, drawing attention away from the inherent drama. Very nice conversion.

David,
First off I do not think you can go wrong with either version as both are outstanding IMO. This is just a personal preference, but I too prefer the B&W because it seems to accentuate the drama and mood of the landscape and that sweet light falling on the MG and BG. Your low POV works nicely and I like the way the FG rocks direct the viewer into the scene. everything is topped off with that drama laden sky. No suggestions from me.

David,

Guess I’ll be going against the grain and say I much prefer the color! Yes, b&w is compelling and does work very well. For me though, color of the clouds and sky is just drop-dead gorgeous! I can’t see covering up with just a sky of contrasts - As the sky is, it’s not really that compelling or dramatic for just a contrast image - but the sky just comes alive in color.

Even the streak of light thru the middle is more striking in color - at least in my opinion.

The foreground rock formations are a tie between versions. Lastly, the snow-dusted mountain range is yet another element where the color version stands out.

If I was to suggest anything, it might be to shave a little off the bottom to get the horizon more off center. but that’s pretty minor.

Lon

Tough call as both are excellent. Such different moods to them, too. I am going with the color though. The warm/cool contrast really pops this one and the color showcases the rock better for me. Can’t go wrong with either, though.

Definitely the black and white!

Thank you @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_Lowe, @Tony_Siciliano, @Eva_McDermott, @Kerry_Gordon, @Lon_Overacker, for taking the time to comment. Looks like it’s split between black and white and color so far. They are so different both in the way I processed them and the overall moods that they bring. Thanks again!

1 Like

Another vote for b&w with the caveat that the sky be worked on. The darks in those clouds just seem too dark in my opinion. In the color version I would make the sunlit streak more on the yellowish side and less on the red.

1 Like

I agree with Igor, the B&W has more emotion in it, but I would back off the dark clouds. The dark clouds in the sky are darker than many of the shadows in the foreground, which just doesn’t feel right to me. In the B&W, I do like how you dodged the highlights in the foreground rocks though, that looks great.

The relatively equal interest level in both the sky and foreground makes this image one of those where a 50/50 horizon works fairly well, you don’t always need to place the horizon off-center.

Great feedback @Igor_Doncov, and @Ed_McGuirk. I intentionally worked the sky hard but you are both correct! I worked it too hard. The color and B&W were processed completely differently. In the color version, it was more about the band of light going across the scene while the B&W was more about the creating emotion with contrast. I went too far darkening the sky and also may have gone slightly too far dodging certain rock tops in the foreground creating a scene that is unbalanced. Again, I really appreciate your comments. I am leaning more and more towards making art out of my photographs and sometimes this means I push things too far. Good catch both of you!

David,
Great shot. Have a minor suggestion on the sky. I think if you bring out a wider range of light and luminosity it may add additional depth and transitions while helping the eye become more curious and explore the scene more. Also, you may see that I separated the far-right mountain range to add a little more depth there as well. Your vision, your image, and of course, how you felt it is what right for you :slightly_smiling_face:. Wonderful job.

Boy, David, this is spectacular as others have said. The two versions both work, and what you put out to the world of course depends on your vision and intent for this image.
I am especially drawn to the B&W for the magnificent foreground lines and texture that are prominent, and the moodiness from the light and shadows. The sky is super. What a fantastic scene!

What a toss up. Both versions are superb. The orange in the color one is outstanding and works with the orange in the sky perfectly. The B&W does have more drama and illustrates the possibilities one has in processing B&W. If I had to choose I’d go with the B&W, but I’d love to have the decision to make as both images are great.

100% B&W. I am fearing for my life actually typing this, but I have a couple of thoughts that may help. I really think you are onto a strong image here but I have two comments:

1 - I absolutely love the foreground composition and how it leads into the mountains. This to me is absolutly spot on. I get a bit lost when I get to the sky though and I think it overwhelms the rest of the image. By having so much sky I feel it reduces both the scale and drama of the mountains. I feel that reducing the amount of sky will bring more impact to the scene.

2 - I would open up the image a bit. With the central portion of brightness with the darker surrounds, that central portion really pulls your eye. To me this takes the viewer away from the rest of the scene. I would have a go at reducing the contrast between the light and dark areas. I made a couple of levels adjustments and applied them separately to the sky and foreground. I also burned the bright area in the middle by 0.68 and added a touch of constrast to the mountains. The levels adjustments also opened up the shadows of the darker peaks on the right.

Here’s my take!

Even though I have made comment I think you have a superb image here!!!

EDIT: oh, I just just saw what @Jack_Curran wrote. Apologies for repeating some of it

1 Like

What a difference!!! Thanks to @Jack_Curran, @Eugene_Theron, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Mark_Muller for your thoughts and suggestions. I very much appreciate the reworks by Jack and Eugene. I actually like the sky that Jack came up with and the foreground from Eugene and you both made adjustments to the right side mountain peaks. Tremendous difference. The sky is too dark in my original and this just hits the mark. Thanks again!

1 Like