El Capitan

As we are all stuck in quarantine mode around the planet I thought I would revisit one of my trips to Yosemite National Park a couple of years ago during winter as I just had to cancel my trip for this year since the park is closed. I arrived a few days after a snowstorm and got lucky with mixed light and storm clouds for most of my trip. This shot of El Capitan was a morning shot with light coming from the right and lighting a portion of the face of El Cap. However I am having a hard time picking a favorite between the B&W and the color version. Also, any artistic or processing ideas are certainly welcome. I appreciate you looking and welcome any feedback.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? My main objective is to see if you prefer the black and white of the color version of this image. I processed the black and white with more contrast than the color version.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: As you can see from my settings I had a lot of wind to deal with plus the relatively long lens which is prone to shaking even without wind so I had to bump up the shutter speedā€¦D4s, 80-400mm, ISO 400, 1/800, F/8, 80mm, tripod, remote release

Is this a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Single shot

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice. I prefer the B&W version. The clouds and fog have much more detail. Of course, you could do the same for the color version.

Hi David - I very much like the B&W version. As Bill mentioned, The clouds appear to have more detail adding to the drama.

While both are nicely done I prefer the B&W version, David. It seems to have more drama with the details and textures in the clouds along with a nice range of tones. The fog and swirling clouds create some wonderful atmospherics and mood to this beautiful image. No suggestions from me.

Thanks Ed, Eva and Bill for the quick comments so far. My preference is also for the B&W but my family all like the color. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m throwing it out there for you guys because Iā€™m confused by this. I did add more contrast to the B&W image which I didnā€™t do for the color version as I wanted to keep relatively tame but maybe I could reprocess the color version to add a little more contrast to the sky to make it pop.

I also like the b&w more. But I think thatā€™s partly because the color image has been processed like the b&w. Here are some suggestions. I brought out the colors more by giving it a blue cast with some warm tones. The clouds were enhanced by reducing their clarity so that they appeared more amorphous. The highlights were reduced in everything but the cliffs which got some texture boost. This is less of an AA look and more of a Romantic interpretation of the scene. Itā€™s just a different approach. I think that dark cliff on the left could use some dodging as well.

1 Like

I prefer the colour version and like Igorā€™s adjustments. I was going to write that I think you could bring our the saturation in the original colour version.

Nice mood in both images.

This is a really beautiful image and I like it a lot. Personally, I also prefer the black and white version as it looks more dramatic. One thing I would consider if this were my image would be to either clone out or reduce the contrast on that spruce tree in the very left bottom corner. It keeps pulling my eye away from the mountain and because itā€™s so close to the edge of the frame itā€™s distracting me.

1 Like

David, I prefer the color version and like the adjustments @Igor_Doncov has made. Beautiful photo with a great atmospheric feeling.

Really an imposing composition, nicely exposed. Good for you for being there in ā€œbad weatherā€!
My eye tended to go to the bright sky mass, especially to the right of El Capitan where contrast is greatest. I used a TK6 mask and brought the sky down a bit, and also warmed the image.

1 Like

The composition of this image and the atmospheric drama are creating a great picture! I prefer the b&w version and maybe I would slightly darken the sky, with some equivalent of a good old red filterā€¦

Igor,
I love what you did. I think the reason I like the black and white is because itā€™s so menacing while the color version has a less dramatic feel and look to it. Youā€™ve really taken the color version the way it needs to go since I processed it for less aggression than the black and white. It was very cold that trip so the cooler color cast really works but what I love most is the soft dreamy quality of the clouds. It really takes this image in a new direction. I really appreciate your work on this.

1 Like

Great call Tom. I see what you mean about the tree. I appreciate it.

Thanks Linda. I am starting to come around on the color version and I love Igors presentation of it. Thanks for your input. It all helps.

Thank you Dick for having a go at the color version. I means a lot to me that people are trying to help this image out, particularly the color version. I knew it needed something but I just didnā€™t know what. Thatā€™s whatā€™s great about this community.

I prefer the B&W version over the color image originally presented, although I do like the direction Richard Knudson took his color rework in. I think B&W appeals more to photographers because it emphasizes tonalities, shapes, texture and light, in other words all the things we as photographers appreciate and think about. I think a lot of the general public thinks of this image as being about a beautiful place (and not tonalities). And they are used to seeing the world in color, not B&W. But that doesnā€™t imply color is better than B&W. For those who appreciate B&W, i think your version tells a stronger story and carries more emotion than the color version.

Beautiful conditions and excellent image. I really like Igorā€™s adjustments, but still prefer the B&W version. Hard to go wrong with either, though.

Both versions are quite nice, but I prefer the b&w. Itā€™s a relatively monochromatic scene and I think the b&w is a little more powerful and captivating in accentuating the textures and mood of the scene.

David,

Itā€™s always special in the Valley during ā€œclearing winter stormsā€. No matter how many times Iā€™ve been up to Tunnel Viewā€¦ you just have to go and see what the weather is doing. You were nicely rewarded here.

Also, thanks for posting both versions as it is an interesting exercise and interesting to read the various impressions and see the various interpretations.

Hereā€™s my thoughts. As presented, the b&w is stronger, simply because of the contrasts, graphics and excellent tonal range. And of course itā€™s very hard to go wrong with a b&w interpretation of the ā€œIncomparable Valley.ā€ This is well done.

I also like to see this scene because I so love the rich colors of El Cap, and to see those colors immersed in the clearing storm is in itself magical. The difficulty with color is in the interpretation. For all those who have stood there (or any other iconic vantage point) we each have our own interpretations. And I think it becomes quite difficult in color to bring those visions home. B&W - easy - thereā€™s no questioning because itā€™s about tones and contrast. Color, well, things stand out more quickly - For example in the color version here I think thereā€™s too much blue/cyan on the far left side of El Cap. And as weā€™ve seen in this thread, a wide range of color interpretations of the BFR - big * rockā€¦

Iā€™ve always appreciated the warm, rich earth tones of El Cap. I usually only see blue in the granite on the north-facing walls, but not El cap. So, for that I much prefer Dickā€™s rendition - that one rings true for me. Of course itā€™s all subjective.

Thanks for sharing and bringing me back there. I miss it!

Lon

@David_Haynes Youā€™ve been channeling Ansel Adams. I simply love the black and white version as the texture in both El Capitan and the Clouds is just money. Perhaps more contrast in El Capitan?

My emotions when I see this: Majestic and Ancient come to my mind when I see the B&W version