Untitled

It was my first trip to Yosemite. Only had time for a drive-through from west to east.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m new here. Just started a membership today. I know the photo is of a “iconic” location. I don’t do many but since I was in Yosemite, what the heck. Looking for any feedback you can offer (e.g. composition, processing, etc.). Thanks in advance.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Four images shot vertically, merged into a 16:9 pano in Lightroom. Black & white conversion and all edits in PS. The only thing I removed was a contrail on the left side of the image.

@stevebisig

Steve, welcome to NPN! This is an exceptional image of El Capitan. It’s not too often we see the whole rock from this side. Well done. I like the B&W treatment too. I could see a bit of nightlight reduction in the clouds and the rock face, but other than that, it’s an awesome image. Well done. Hope to see more of your work here.

Thank you David for your feedback. I’m not familiar with the term “nightlight reduction”. I couldn’t find anything on google either. ~Steve

1 Like

Welcome, Steve. I think this is a wonderful image and very well processed. The only thing that comes to mind is just a bit more room at the top and at the bottom, if you have some.

1 Like

Wellcome Steve! An interesting post processing work that I have never tried.

1 Like

Hi and Welcome to NPN! I don’t blame you for doing a drive-by pano…now that’s dedication. El Cap might be ubiquitous in photography, but that doesn’t take away from this image. I think if you wanted to take it further you could do some contouring on the rock with some judicious dodging and burning. I bet that’s what Ansel did. :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry Steve. I meant highlight reduction. Dang autocorrect.

1 Like

Thank you. After the merging of images, I didn’t have a lot to work with. I probably needed to shoot a few few for the top and bottom. ~Steve

I want to thank everybody for your feedback. Based on that, I edited the photo and attached it . ~Steve

Thank you Kristen. I took the advice and attached a revised version below.

~Steve

I really like this slab of granite that’s so in my your face. It’s just so overwhelming. Powerfully thrust it just says “I’m here so surrender to me”. Yes we have all seen this scene as we enter the Valley but it’s still a unique statement in my opinion. Without the usual trees or water as a distraction it makes it’s point emphatically. PS the rework is not as good as the original.

Welcome Steve! This is a dramatic wide-angle of El Cap, and I’m not sure I’ve seen one this wide. I think it works very well.

I think a combination of the two versions might work well, with the second version layered over the first and masked to reveal the greater detail in the clouds on the right.