Snowstorm in the Valley + B&W

… for lack of a better title - suggestions welcome! Sorry, but have been out of sorts recently and way behind on my commenting. Trying to catch up. In the meantime, I was able to refresh the soul earlier in the week with an overnight trip to Yosemite Valley. Timing couldn’t have been better as we woke to a good 6 inches of snow this past Monday morning. There was literally no one else out but me and some park staff clearing the roads. It was peaceful, magical, and wet!

This elm tree is perhaps one of the most photographed trees - anywhere and has been shown here many times, by many members. I think most memorably from Chris Chamberlain. So, many would ask, why photograph the same old tired cliches? Well, short answer for me is, because I can. You’re alone in one of the most magical places on earth… and as many times as I’ve been here, it’s actually rare to be able to photograph while it’s actually snowing (and therefore a technical challenge for me…) For me, it’s all about the moment(s) - not about whether or not someone else has photographed this. It’s one thing to line up with dozens of others at some iconic location all clicking away at the same thing… It’s quite another to be alone and being part of a magical moment. That’s why.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. Especially processing, WB, etc.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Of course with the falling snow, contrast and details are reduced. The falling snow isn’t really visible, although hopefully clearly that is what is creating the atmosphere. Your thoughts and critiques are welcome!

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E Nik 28-300mm @68mm f/5 1/200th
Single image processed in PS CC. Actually very little post processing. A Selective Color layer to adjust the WB, a little vibrance to keep bring out the brown/reds in both the tree and the cat talks (preferring this one to remain in color even though it’s very much monochromatic) A little burning some bright areas and that’s about it.

Would love any thoughts, critiques or suggestions.

Thanks!

Edit:

Ok, adding the b&w version. Funny, I figured it was to obviously a b&w opportunity that I chose to leave it in color - like a reverse “stepping out of the box…” :wink: For me, the difference is so subtle that I’m not sure either one is better than the other.

Thanks for the feedback, I did incorporate much of it. @Eugene_Theron, thanks for the catch. I cleaned up the borders a little bit and removed/cloned a few of those distracting dark spots along the edge.

@Ben_van_der_Sande, I also added, painted in a bit of contrast to the big elm as well as the little saplings. As well as setting a black point suggested by @Harley_Goldman and @Dave_Dillemuth.
The one thing I was trying to avoid was making this image about contrasts. The mood and atmosphere with the falling snow was far from being about contrast, which probably explains the adjustments I did make are pretty tame. Still, will be curious if he b&w version resonates better. Oh, and the conversion was a straight b&w layer in PS. To me, most of the presets in Silver Efex are overkill for this kind of image.

Anyway - Dave, absolutely have some others to share. I was in the valley for less than 24 hours as I had a commitment at work to be back home by 3pm Monday, which meant getting out of the valley before noon. Turns out, with road conditions worsening, my wife’s anxiety of the conditions, coupled with my stubborn refusal to put on chains… we ended up heading out by 10:30 or so. So basically I got about 3 hours of shooting in this past Monday morning. Later that night and in to Tuesday, the closed the park roads for a day and a half.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

This is a lovely and refreshing scene, Lon. There is just something about freshly falling snow that is cleansing for the mind and soul. The processing and WB look spot on to me; maybe it is just the power of suggestion but I do notice the falling snow in front of the trees. My only suggestion would be for a small crop from the top; maybe 1/3 -1/2 of the sky above the tallest tree. This is a magical moment you captured here.

It had to be a wonderful feeling to be free of the crowds and have the place to yourself as you made your way around the valley.

Wow!! This is a really cool image Lon and I love the atmosphere you captured. I cant really fault it at all. There is just one TINY thing and there is a small dark spot in the bottom right that is cut by the edge of the frame. It was the first thing I saw and I can’t stop seeing it. Other than that it’s magical. Well done!

Lon. I like the real winter mood in your image. My feeling says, give the elm tree and the small bushes on the right a tiny bit more contrast. To bring a bit of tension in it. MHO.

Nice, Lon! I was eyeing that storm, but had to take muttley to see the vet and could not pull it off.

I like the image, but for my money, I like it converted to B&W straight up and then pull in the black point with a levels layer. To ME, it just makes it more pure and maybe even traditional, not that traditional matters.

Damn, Lon, this is awesome. Great for you to have timed this storm. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you came away with.
This is very nicely framed and processing looks good but I think I’m with Harley that this would sing in B&W. I find the browns look a bit muddy and I think black and white with a strong Black point would do wonders.

Lon, this is really sweet, Others have suggested BW and I would be curious to see that version as well. It’s nice to hear you had the scene to yourself, that always makes it a memorable experience. Well done!

Thanks @Ed_Lowe. This was actually already a crop from the top and also from the right - there’s another bank of pines to the right so I cropped to the gap. I think another/different crop could work too, and I might also include shaving a bit more off the left if I take any more off the top.

It absolutely was Ed. In fact on this morning I made it to each of the 4 major visitor pullouts at El Cap meadow, Valley View, Bridal Veil and Sentinel meadow - not a single car parked at any of them! Yes, a few cars around and mostly park vehicles, snow plows, etc., but for the most part, I for sure was the only photographer out and about.

1 Like

Really nice, Lon. I think the B&W works best, and all the minor tweaks you made work well.

I am glad you got in and out before the storm got really nasty. Here at my house we had 5 inches of snow and some heavy wind. I wasn’t going anywhere.
-P

Lon, it is a beautiful and relaxing image - sort of suspended… I like both versions, b&w is certainly splendid, but I also like the subtle colors - barely visible - of the original version. Good that you got home before the storm became worse…

Definitely the B&W for me. It strips the image down to the basic elements of tonality and really shines in this scene. Simplicity and elegance.

Lon this is a really beautiful moment in nature, made even better by being able to enjoy the solitude. I am going to go against the grain here and vote for the color version. The very faint colors in the foreground vegetation and the background trees add some subtle value to the color version. I also think the color version conveys a more painterly feeling than the B&W. The extra contrast created by pulling in the BP in the B&W loses some of the painterly look in the color version.

Hi Lon,
I’m in the middle, I prefer the B&W rendering but prefer the softer contrast of the color version.

Lon, I’m stuck in the middle. I like both very much. I guess I see most images in color, but enjoy the heck out of solid B&W images too. So, no voice for change at all, just enjoying the scene, albeit on the Brrrrr side of things…:+1:

Lon: I resonate with your comments regarding being alone with your subject. A few years ago I had Great Sand Dunes NP and later Black Canyon NP completely to myself. Cold weather is good for something! I like your tune ups and your vision. While this may be an iconic subject these are unique conditions and you have an image that can’t be duplicated. Many :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Lon, the heavy snow and your comp. with the deciduous tree and the cattails as major elements, looks good. The level of obscuration by the snow is amazing. Since I’m viewing this after your later post, I say that while both are really neat views, I like the latter post a bit better because its more abstract. Looks like a fun, albeit a bit more exciting than hoped for, trek.