Snow Storm and Black Oak Sketch (2 versions + 2more!)

Captured just 3 minutes before my first post. Same vantage point, just turned about 90 degrees to my right. It was snowing pretty good, but I took cover under the protection of my vehicles lift gate. :smiley::roll_eyes:

I suspect some will prefer straight b&w, so Iā€™m including both versions from the git-go. I mentioned in my last post that this was obviously, classically a b&w day, but for some reason, Iā€™m still liking the subtle colors present from the leaves of the black oak.

All comments, feedback Welcome! Thanks!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. White balance in the color version - too cool?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which do you prefer? My only concern is the open, blank area of snow bottom right. A distraction? or good foundation for the scene?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, Nikon 28-300mm @98mm f/5.3 1/80th iso 2200.

Edit: 2 new, different frames. As you might expect, I didnā€™t just capture one imageā€¦ but was experimenting with different shutter speeds, etc. These two here, the first was at 1/13th and the second 1/125. Also, these are cropped from a slightly wider view, allowing more space to the left and bottom.

Full disclosure, I added detail to the blank snow at the bottom. In the first, the grasses and such at the bottom are actually included in the original frame, I just ā€œmovedā€ them up a little in the frame to be included after the crop. Iā€™m not entirely happy with the bottom of the second. The details here were actually cloned in from one of the images of my first post. There was also a little cleanup cloning including removing a couple of wire cages protecting some black oak saplings.

The first one is a straight color image with just a selective color layer to get a fairly nuetral WB. The second was an attempt at a tinted B&W version that @Ed_McGuirk suggested.

Iā€™m posting this in the original post so you can simply scroll between the images. Although the downside now is, that scrolling between the variations could have a negative impact or make it difficult to decide.

In my own view, I really like the first image because of how the snow obscures the scene and creates that charcoal sketch look. Downside, the trunk in the LL and space in the corner.

I like the crop and more breathing room of these two new versions, although the snow is less intense. I really like the blurred snow, but I think one needs a closer view of the trees to get the sense of the falling snow. (Stay tuned, I have one for later this week.!)

Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions!

To say I enjoyed my time in the valley this day, would be an understatement!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Another beautiful winter scene, Lon. No surprise, but B&W all the way for me. I am looking back and forth and trying to figure why I prefer it, but I am not making a whole lot of progress. Getting picky, maybe clone out the trunk bottom left and add a little space along the bottom (left is a tiny bit tight). But like I said, that is quite picky. Looks great as posted.

Another beauty from your trip to Yosemite, Lon. Hard to pick which I like the best; I like the hints of color in the first version and the traditional look of the B&W in the second. I would say that is a nice choice to have.:grinning: I am really enjoying the painterly effect with the falling snow as it imparts a lovely mood to the scene. My only suggestion would be to clone out that tree in the LLC. Looking forward to seeing some more images from your trip.

Lon: Iā€™ll take one of each :wink:. I think I do prefer image #1 a bit. After noticing the partial trunk on the left I think I would crop it away. As is you only get a 98% grade. Really good work in the conditions. I envy you the opportunity. >=))>

Lon, for me the colored one is it. I should leave it as it is. Together with the trunk. Because that is keeping my eyes in the image. A beautiful, strong winter-image.

Love it! Even more than the other. I definitely prefer the color version. The cold tones add a lot to the image, at least for me. Very nice. No suggestionsā€¦ Just print it big! :slight_smile:

Lon, another gorgeous image, I actually prefer this to your prior post as well. I usually like B&W conversion for winter scenes, but something about the subtle, faint colors makes me prefer the color version, relative to the B&W (as presented). As several others have suggested I would clone away the tree in the LLC (dontā€™ crop you need the space). You may want to consider a toned B&W conversion, just for fun I did one starting from your B&W, adding a subtle steel blue tone, adding a little contrast in the darkest tones, and cloning the LLC tree.

1 Like

Lon, this is a great scene, with a fine selection of trees and tons of falling snow. Thereā€™s a fine simplicity both in the shapes and in how theyā€™re obscured by the snow. I like the color version as the blue adds a nice sense of chill. With the added ā€œgrainā€ due to the snow, I think the original might pass as an old cyanotype.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk! This works - with so many different directions to take this scene. Iā€™ll be posting an alternative frame momentarily. I agree with you, @Harley_Goldman and others about the trunk on the left, the space to the left and below. Stay tunedā€¦

Lon, I love these falling snow scenes. Iā€™ve scrolled through your two versions of the edit post, at this point I prefer the non-toned version, it has more of a traditional bw look to me. I like the toned version but would like to see the tone backed-off some. Of course, the more I look, the more I may change my mind :thinking: Both are excellent. Iā€™ll be heading to Yosemite towards the end of next week, expecting some snow, hopefully not ā€œwhite-outā€.

Lon, Now that is snow! ā€¦and it is beautiful. These are really interesting and I quite like them all. My favorite of the 4 is the 3rd one. Wonderful.

Hi Lon, These are all wonderful, but I do like the way the second set sits in the frame, with more snow at the bottom. For some reason the first versions seemed a little tipped to the left. I very much enjoy the etched quality of the trees and I like the bluish tint. I like Edā€™s edits. Any way you cut it, youā€™ve got a winner here. Iā€™m angling to get up to the Valley myself, but am not sure I could come up with anything this good.

The third one all the way for me.