Black Oak Flurry - 2 versions

Well, I guess I’ll just add to the list of snowy winter images being posted. Of course it is that time of year… :wink: This was captured just 25 minutes and a couple miles down the road in Yosemite Valley a week ago Monday. Still snowing and such a wonderful time being out in it. I don’t have a whole lot of experience in photographing in the snow - and falling snow. Learned there are two choices - 1. fast shutter speed to catch the falling flakes or 2., slower shutter speed to get the motion. This frame is the faster, at 1/320th.

Same frame, two different crops? Any preference? They were also processed independently and therefore the blacks are a little darker in one.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and/all with regards to processing

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome. Especially preference on crop/framing between these alternates.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200/2.8 @70mm f/4.5 1/320th iso 1100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Another fine one from Yosemite winter. It is a tough choice, but I like the wider one more. It provides more tree structure. But it is close. No nits here.

Lon, I’m with Harley here. Tough call between the two versions. I thought I was on to the tighter crop, but then the wider view grew on me. Oh well, can’t go wrong with either I’d say…:sunglasses:

Lon, both are nice but I have to agree with Harley and Paul and prefer the wider version.
One beautiful snow scene after another from you, when will the madness end! :wink:

Hey Lon, beautiful shot. I really like the textures and winter mood. I slightly prefer the second one but it is really close. I like the extra bends and branches of the tree included in the second shot. Especially the top right.

Yep, close call, but I will go for the wider view. I like the curves in the branches in the upper right corner.
–P

Agree with those who wrote before… Both are very nice, but the wider one seems more balanced to me. Beautiful image.

The top half of either one. Probably the wider view. The crop I’m suggesting is where the branches all come together. I guess I’ll just show it. The current crop gives the impression of a leaning tree, which I prefer less.

Regarding the SS. I may be wrong but to me it’s about what you’re trying to say. The slow SS to show fierce blizzard conditions. The fast SS to show the wonderment of suspended flakes as they slowly descend. I think you’ve caught that perfectly. It’s also a great graphic.

Difficult to be critical as the image for me is about the tree and the snow and that has been portrayed just beautifully. If push came to shove I prefer the more open lower image marginally.

Thank you for the comments everyone. It seems the consensus is the wider view. Interesting since I guess I’m the only one who prefers the slightly tighter view. My reasoning is that I like the main part of the tree not so centered. But as you all mentioned, it’s too close to call and I’m happy with either as well. I have several other takes on this tree and it’s neighbor.

Igor - Exactly, what I was attempting during the snow storm. Experimenting, freezing the snow flakes worked well at 1/320th (and faster of course) emphasizing the snow itself. The challenge was finding the SS that showed the blurring motion of the blowing snow, without having it disappear with too long a shutter speed. Somewhere around 1/15th produced a good effect. Of course it also depends on the speed and direction of the snow (wind blowing…) Anyway, I have yet another showing those blowing, flurry conditions of this same tree.

Not sure I’m sold on the crop as it feels cut off. However, I see where you’re going and while processing, the image sure looked cooler the more zoomed in. I played around with a vertical crop. As it is, this is already cropped from original where the ground and full trunk is included.

thanks again!

1 Like

I too p[refer the wider version and Igor’s crop is workable as well. I think that your exposure captured the snowy moment perfectly. Well done…Jim

Lon, I’m really enjoying this image! I love snow and trees so no real surprise for me. I like it with the fast shutter speed you used to capture the falling flakes and I also like your second crop just a bit tighter. Wonderful winter image!