Black Oak Flurries III

Same tree, same storm, different frame, different crop. I figured rather than over play this in the Landscape Critique gallery, I thought this was fitting for the WC.

Really surprised there aren’t more stormy weather images out there!

If you took special precautions to protect yourself or you equipment, please describe them.

Forgot to mention… I pulled my vehicle over in a designated, safe pull-out lane. I took refuge under the lift gade of said vehicle. It was brutal.

This is a different frame from the previous image I posted. Similar technicals:

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200mm @82mm, f/6.3 1/20th iso 400, single image, cropped

Comments, feedback always welcome!

1 Like

Another good one, Lon. The lean looks really good in this and the snow streaks work well. No nits here.

Lon, outstanding take here. I did not see the previous version(s), but if anything like this one should be fine work as well. I really like the streaking snow. To me it seems to make a huge impact on the visual perspective mentally being converted to the feeling for the temperature and wind velocity at that time. Excellent…:+1:

That’s a ton of flying snow, Lon. It’s also pretty amazing that there are still leaves with some color on the tree. A very neat storm shot.

Much too cold for my Southern bones, Lon. The angle of the wind blown snow works great for how you framed the tree. Brrhh !!

I love this, Lon. You framed the tree beautifully and the slanting snow is just great. The choice of an oak was perfect with the leaves that hang on all winter.

Super! The balance of this one seems better to me than the other. The first one you posted, with the two trees, seemed like it had an imbalance of space on the left. I just love the muted colors of these, with the brown of the leaves against the gray and white tones.

Outstanding. Thanks for the information about how you managed to get the image. in such a heavy snowfall and wind. The streaking snow appears to create a bit of optical illusion (to me, anyway) by flattening the faces of the main branches.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

What’s quite interesting to me is that the resulting image (and shutter speed) really make this look like the wind was really blowing, a blustery winter storm, etc. But the reality the wind really wasn’t blowing much. Perhaps higher up there was wind, and also it’s also probably due to the movement of the storm causing the snow to be falling diagonally. Anyway, an interesting thought.

Thanks again!