Winter's Dressing

Well, finally the last of my Yosemite images captured about a month ago now. Hope you’re not tired of these oaks. I posted a more intimate image of these a while ago. That was captured the afternoon before and this one is the next morning while I photographed a number of trees from the same location. The snow finally let up and the light started to get brighter.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing critique and suggestions welcome. I had been working on this one a lot and got to the point where I was going to far, so I started over. Not too much to the processing, although as I normally do I added a LAB Color layer for some contrast. The “brown” leaves of the oaks went a bit red and so what I did was add a b&w layer and dropped the opacity down to 25% which toned down the colors a bit. I burned to snowy walls in the taller crop.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Two versions here; they are both cropped from the original. I’m posting the tighter crop as I like the patterns of the snowy branches along with all the detail. The larger view offers a bit more of the locale and a better hint of Yosemite more of a view of the granite walls, also covered in snow.

Which do you prefer?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @62mm f/13, 1/30th iso200

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

I definitely prefer the wider view. For me, it gives more of both a sense of place and breathing room to the tree(s). Processing looks good to me. I like the kind of high key look.

Lon, I like the bit wider view as well. I felt the tighter comp actually felt a bit to tight on the right edge. The wider comp with both trees just seems to have a more pleasing feel for me. The processing looks great to me and I would never tire of seeing these trees. A wonderful image.

Another vote for the second version, Lon. It just gives me a better feel of the beauty of Yosemite; the first one just seems a little tight. The processing looks spot on and I never tire of viewing your oak images as you do them so superbly. I think the color combination of red/brown leaves works perfectly with the high key tones of the snow. this is lovely IMO.

Lon, I’m following the crowd on this one with the wider view. Just going back and forth with the image arrow keys gives and immediate reason for the second choice here. At least for me…:+1:
The first image feels tight and then the topping of the tree(s) adds to the tightness too…:thinking:

The processing looks very nice and I can’t really detect the items you’re mentioning differently there per se. But it is also end of day for me also. Maybe easier to see with fresh eyes…:sunglasses:

Thanks for the comments boys! Much appreciated.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment. The wider view is just better balanced. And I should follow my own rules with the cropped version - If you’re going to crop or cut something off, do it with intention! In other words, if I’m gonna crop, I should crop even further to make the image purely about the tree, branches and snow - and not include any bg.

Thanks again!

I’m off for a few days of shooting. See you next week!

Lon

One of my favorite things about winter images from Yosemite Valley is the remaining rusty brown leaves from autumn. And this image probably displays why better than any image I have ever seen from there. I prefer the slightly wider frame!