Valley snow

There is not much that’s more magical to experience than Yosemite under a fresh blanket of snow.

3 Likes

Beautiful Merced reflection Robb. I was there last year when there were three feet of snow on the ground. Brutal but beautiful! You really have to blow this one up to appreciate all of the subtleties.
I’m enjoying the fog bank partially obscuring the mountain background making me focus more on the snow covered tree and the reflection in the Merced river. I initially thought that the image was a little off balance right to left but the bottom right tree balances the darkness of the smaller in frame but darker trees on the left. Hope that makes sense. I love these kinds of scenes and seeing this brings back memories of my trip last year. Was this from this year or last year? In any case, well done!

Robb,
This is a gorgeous B&W from front to back. The large version is especially nice with the wealth of details and the wide range of tones. The Merced does a fantastic job of taking me into this winter time scene and the fog in the BG provides some gorgeous atmospherics. There is just something about freshly fallen snow and how it seems to clean the soul. I have no suggestions for improvement.

I agree, Yosemite is magical during and after a good snowfall. It seems that the park service is now closing the campgrounds during heavy snows (falling tree danger), which makes it tough to hang out there for someone who likes to camp and has a dog.

Beautiful image and no suggestions here.

I’ve experienced going into Yosemite Valley early in the morning seeing a nice, fresh overnight snow. It was absolutely magical. I got some of my personal favorite shots of Yosemite that morning and this reminds me of then. This shot is simply stunning. I would not change a thing with it.

Love the crispness of this Robb. I too think it looks great as is. Must have been wonderful to be there.

A great choice for black and white Robb. No nits from me. I’m enjoying the the contrast and mood of this scene.

This is really beautiful. Nicely done, I can’t think of anything I’d change.

Magical indeed, Robb. This is absolutely beautiful. No nits at all.

Robb, you are quite correct! I’m most certainly missing this place. :cry:

This is a relatively un-visited stretch of the Merced and you’ve captured it beautifully. I think your b&w presentation and processing are spot on.

If I had one minor nit or wish would be to do something about the heavy, snowy branch on the right. I wouldn’t want to crop any further. This might be a different approach - how about dodging the shadow area below? It’s not so much the clump of snow that draws the eye, but it’s the darker shadow it’s casting. Not a huge deal by any stretch, but thought I would mention.

Thanks for bringing me there!

Lon

Hi Robb,

Black and white works well for your photo. The reflection, the cloud, snow and mountains look good even on my phone. I can’t think of any nits for you. Well done…Jim