Kancamagus in B&W

I shot this image with the intention of converting it to B&W as the light was pretty flat and I was not about to pass up those amazing clouds forming over the White Mountains in NH. This was pre covid back in June 2019.

As always I appreciate your taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 105mm, f18 @ 1/320 sec, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Ed, the clouds are very dramatic and b&w enhances that drama well. The trees at the bottom balance well with the cloud textures. I wonder how adding some more mid-tone contrast (or burning-in the mountains a bit) would look.

Good dramatic sky and the B&W conversion does it justice. I am finding the comp feels tight on the sides. I have no idea what lurks out to the sides, but did you also do any horizontals?

I assume you took this either before or after our Northeast NPN meetup in 6/19. This is a sky that was just made for B&W. I might be tempted to add even slight bit more midtone contrast in the sky (darken the darks in the sky), and maybe add some extra vignetting of the top edge. I actually like the lighter tones in the mountains, it gives them a misty look. I agree with Harley that it feels a bit tight on the sides, especially along the right. I suspect the location cloud drove the choice of vertical over horizontal, but if you have more room on the right those trees wouldn’t be as cramped.

Ed, I remember I didn’t even get out of the truck, but you made some nice lemonade here out of the “lemon” lighting conditions. I love the dramatic sky. A small nit- you have a dust spot on the front mountain.

While I understand the fact that you were attracted to the cloud formations, I find that the image might benefit from some more balance, as the tree line on the bottom and the mountains in the middle cannot really match the sheer weight and brightness of the sky.

I attach this slightly modified version, with a shorter 4:5 format. The brightest part of the sky is removed, highlights are decreased, and clarity is increased on the remaining part. That’s my take, everything is subjective of course, I am sure that many will like the original version much better. In any case, an interesting image, nicely done :clap:

Nikos