Algonquin Red Pines II

I find, when it comes to landscape photography, that making images of the forest are most difficult for me. It speaks to the difference between making a picture “of” something, and making a picture “about” something. In the case of this image, it is obviously a picture of a tree but what is it about? The reason I took the picture is because of the way red pines seem to make space for themselves – take a stand for themselves, as it were, amidst the chaos of underbrush and all that “stuff” around them that is either decaying and dying or making its play for life. But this red pine had established itself. While not so large, as red pines go, it nonetheless, stood straight and tall. And as I wandered more or less aimlessly through this forest it seemed, in an understated way, to assert its presence and draw my attention. Just so – “I am here.” So that’s my story. The feedback I’d like is the extent to which this picture and my story align for you. Is it a photograph “of” a tree or does it strike you as “about” something more? Ultimately, I’d like this and other such forest images I’m slowly gathering to be part of a body of work. I say this because I feel as though this image, on its own, lacks in originality. Although I find this image pleasing, I don’t think I’ve managed to say anything new, here. But as part of a body of work this same image may serve to tell a bigger story than any single image could. Or, who knows, maybe in 10 years I’ll look back on this image and think, “Nice sketch. It helped me get to something more deeply personal”.

1 Like

This almost look like a @Lon_Overacker image in terms of subject. The composition is right on with the green bows in the upper right and the broadleaf leaves on the lower left and the caribou moss on the lower right. Everything feels balanced and right. People often express difficulty in composing a forest scene but when you see it done right it seems so straightforward.

I can’t remember who, but I saw a video of a landscape painter that always painted his trees just a bit askew to draw attention to them from the viewer. The idea was to create a bit of tension.

What I like the most about your last two images is the nature of the bark. There is a silver/grayish quality with just the right amount of brown to them. I find both their texture and colors very appealing. Our pines are much warmer over here.

And now I’m supposed to find something to improve. I don’t think there is anything significant. The small yellow leaves at the base of the tree is a good addition so I wouldn’t touch that. The small leaves peaking to the right from the tree is an issue. But frankly I don’t look for suggestions like that because I like to post before everything twig is perfect. So yes, I like the leaning tree.

Your questions about this image touch on some points made by Matt Lancaster in his reply to Adhika Lies recent post “The Great Chaos”., and the concept of shooting thematically to add depth to a portfolio of images.

I think some of the best forest/tree images can tell a story. They focus on tree’s whose interesting shape has a lot of character. And they often rely on fog, fall color, or other elements to spice up a tree/forest image. This image has none of those factors, other than the texture of the bark perhaps. But you are correct in that it can still have value in a collection of forest images where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Not every image has to be “about” something when you think in these terms. The more it is "about ", rather than “of” something, the better, but it isn’t always necessary.

We all look at an image with our own perspective. To you, this image is about this red pine “standing tall by itself”. I get that, but I also see it as being about the pine being an integral part of the overall ecosystem of this forest. I see it in relation to the mossy lichen in the LRC, the contrasting yellow of the maple leaves on the left , and the green hanging pine or spruce boughs on the right. I see this image as being about the tree being part of the forest, rather than standing alone. Neither interpretation is right or wrong, just different. In my interpretation, I can see an alternate crop here that strengthens that “being part of the forest story”, while your image as presented does a good job with the “standing alone story”. My alternate image might look something like this.

1 Like

Somehow I missed this question. This is different from your recent images where you attempted to show nature as a spiritual force. I don’t think this lacks originality. I think you find this more literal than your previous ones. I feel that this is just a different way to show the natural world. It’s what Sierra Club has done for decades and nature lovers loved it. It might not be as moving as gnarly branches or misty mountains but it has a different type of appeal. There are ways to show the natural world in a literal way and still be profound with good composition. No, I have to disagree about this tree. It’s more than just a story. There’s something very bright and optimistic, even uplifting, about this group of trees, branches, and trees. I feel almost as though you’ve boxed yourself in with how you’ve defined meaningful and cliche. This is not cliche.

PS. The original comp is superior. By widening the trunk in the rework the tree has lost some of it’s stately elegance.

Difficult question. I think the image in itself is very beautiful. There is a sense of place when I view this. I have been in forests like this numerous times and I can picture myself there. So the “I am here” story is definitely successful. Is that something new? I don’t know. But I do think that this image is very personal.

I think this is the aspect of this image that I respect the most. Most forest images, mine included, rely on those elements Ed mentioned heavily. Pulling a composition that works really well like this is highly commendable in my opinion.

1 Like

Kerry, I am finding this a very enjoyable image. As @Adhika_Lie brings up, it does a great job of putting me in the forest, with its sense of peace and tranquility. It is a nicely understated scene. I prefer it uncropped as presented.

@Igor_Doncov, @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman. Once again, thank you all for taking the time to offer your feedback. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this site - the skill and experience of you all and the quality of the critiques. In what I said, I think I need to use a different word than “originality” because that makes it sound like I’m looking for some kind of gimmick to separate my work. I think what I mean to say is something more like finding my “voice”. I do like this image. It is nicely composed and balanced and I think I did a fair job in post bringing it to life. But for me, this is more a photograph that documents rather than a photograph that expresses artistic intention. I feel like this is an image that would do well in a “Travel Ontario” magazine or a photo brochure of Algonquin Park. And there is nothing wrong with that, of course. But while this photograph does give a nice feel for the park, it doesn’t say much about me. It feels “safe” and that isn’t what I’d ultimately like my photography to be. That all being said, I’ve only been at this four years so I need to practice patience and trust the process. I remember reading somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours to achieve any degree of mastery in anything creative. That number certainly jibes with my own experience in other areas of my creative life. Well, who knows, but I’m a long, long way from that :smile: