Almost Full Moon

One of my favorite trees in the San Diego backcountry, it just speaks to me for some reason. I’ve attempted this image a few times with a full moon but it just never works. The area is pretty remote and gets really dark after sun sets behind the hills opposite the moon. I decided last month to visit a few days before the full moon so there would still be a little ambient light as the almost full moon was rising. I enjoy how the remaining light created a slight shadow behind the tree. I also enjoy a more “realistic” size moon in my images rather than a really big moon from a longer lens.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single exposure.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Very beautifully composed and processed Andrew. The luminosity of the grass in B&W is handled perfectly, it’s wonderful. And the grass has a number of different tones and textures that create some interesting layers within the image. Very nice work on this image.

I agree with you about the size of the moon. to me the strengths of this image are the shapes of the trees and the texture of the grasslands. A larger moon would risk visually overwhelming what I enjoy most about this image.

1 Like

I really like how the sky glows in this image. I suspect that’s not due to a vignette but a natural phenomenon. Initially I thought it would be better without the dark band at the bottom but I think it improves the image.

1 Like

Everything works beautifully in this scene, Andrew. It has a nice range of tones and the placement of the moon is perfect IMO. I can see why you like the tree as it does have some nice character with the way the branches are spread out. I also like the luminosity of the landscape as it ties in nicely with the moon.

1 Like

I remember you posted a tree in a rare snow awhile back. Is this that same tree?? I do like the way you arranged the elements, and think the BW treatment works well.

1 Like

@John_Williams you have a memory like a steel trap! This is in fact the very same tree, it’s also about 50 yards from where I photographed the coyote if you saw that one. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk Thank you all as always for taking the time to view my image and comment, I appreciate it. @Igor_Doncov, you are correct. The sky was glowing on it’s own from the tail end of the sun setting opposite this scene.