Moonrise and Twisted Tree, Utah

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A couple weeks ago I camped just a few feet away from this tree, despite thinking it’s the kind of tree that comes alive at night and does despicable things to anyone nearby. I spent a huge chunk of time with it, literally photographing it from every angle.

In waning light, with the moon rising behind the tree, I had to shoot this handheld because there was nowhere to setup a tripod that would allow for this composition. Because of that, I was forced to use an f/4 aperture to produce a fast enough shutter speed. There are a few branches that are OOF, probably not visible at this size, but I’m still quite happy with the image.

Technical Details

I knew before I pressed the shutter that this was going to processed as a black and white image.

Sony A7IV w/ 24-105mm lens, handheld
1/25s @ f/4
ISO 400
Processed in LR Classic, including B&W conversion

1 Like

Beautiful image !!! great Lines and Tone … Black and White really speaks !!!

I love this! The rock base is solid but simple, and the tree is so amazingly growing out of it! The tree’s shape and bark texture are very interesting. You positioned the moon well. I like that its branches are filling the frame.

I’d love to see other views of it!

I love all three elements Bret, the rock texture, the wonderful tree, and the moon. My only “wish” is that this same foreground composition had been captured from farther back with a larger zoom to get that moon a bit larger in relation to the tree. I argue with myself when it’s not physically possible to do that about the ethics of shooting the moon separately (at the same time and location with a longer lens) and adding it in. (Same result but an impure method?)

@Diane_Miller So happy you like it! Thank you.

@Gill_Vanderlip Thanks so much for your comment.

@John_Williams I had the same idea and did get farther back w/ a longer lens but I wasn’t able to maintain a similar composition. I do wish the moon was a little larger. Not much…maybe 3 times as large, just enough to be a bit more prominent. I appreciate your comments!

1 Like

The subject tree certainly does have an ominous feel. The black and white helps emphasize that. Very nicely composed. The moon and tree balance each other well.

What a great image, has to be one of my favourites! The stark contrast in this black and white image really brings out the rugged beauty of the tree against the softness of the sky, and the presence of the moon adds a serene balance to the scene. It’s a testament to the resilience of nature, captured through your lens with a profound sense of stillness and permanence. Well done, great shot!