Moonrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image may be my favorite of the year. Possibly in part that would be because it took some work and planning, which worked out better than I had hoped. I was shooting solo and couldn’t get as far off angle as I wanted for the light painting, even using the method of putting the camera on the intervalometer and walking around painting, hoping for the best. But I loved the way some of the small branches I caught are pointing at the moon. The tripod was perched precariously on a steep and slippery hillside.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 11.14.29 AM

Several light painted frames masked in.

2 Likes

Very interesting, Diane. I like the layers with the painted areas in the front, the dark branches behind and the sky with the moon in the back. Your choice of composition and positioning the camera is great. Great mood and atmosphere. Thanks for sharing.

Super cool! I like how it is disorienting in that it’s not exactly clear which way is up or down. I get a spooky mood out of it. You’ve inspired me to try some light painting composites! Except I might experiment on flat, non-slippery ground :smile:

Diane: Superbly conceived and equally well executed. The painted branches remind me of lightning streaks and when I first saw the thumbnail that’s what I expected. Well done! :+1: :+1:>=))>

Moody and mysterious, I am loving what you put together here Diane! Your planning and expertise paid off with a unique image. I think the slightly off kilter POV enhances the mood in this one. Nice light painting BTW.