Mountain Moonset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After photographing a pleasant sunrise sky looking North, I turned around to see the day after full moon setting over the mountains looking South. While I tried a two exposure composite, I found that this single exposure at -2 EV with adjustments to the moon’s brightness and the land’s darkness made the best result.

Specific Feedback

The full moon has the same brightness as a midday, over the shoulder full sun scene. (It’s all reflected sunlight…) so getting detail in the moon and the land at twilight is a challenge.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 105, 1/60 s, f/13, iso 800, -2 EV, tripod

1 Like

Mark, excellent view of this well timed blue light surrounding this golden moon. Heck the saucer style lenticular clouds are a real plus too… :ghost:

Mark,
the color palette of the image, and the darkness of the tones (except for the moon), really does convey twilight. Its a very nice, quiet, image.

Simply amazing that you got detail in both the moon and mountains, Difficult indeed. It might be interesting to lift the whites on just the mountains to bring them out a bit more. T’would emphasize the conversation between moon and mountain….?

I like the composition and idea, and the blue hour landscape feels just right, but the moon feels forced. Its color feels overdone for being that high and the halo calls attention to the manipulation. I think a slight “un-tweak” could give you a wonderful image.