Moonset Over Sisters

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was an evening blue hour take on the moon (I think it might have been a super moon?) setting over the Sisters area of Oregon. There was a TREMENDOUS amount of atmospheric disturbance that was challenging to say the least.

Specific Feedback

I chose to embrace the haze in post processing with this result. Did it work?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
ISO 100, f/8, 4112mm, 1/25
Definitely a tripod on this one!

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Connie, that’s one huge moon (befitting your 4112 mm lens!). I think the limited dynamic range and overall blue cast fit the scene well, especially with the thin clouds slightly obscuring the moon.

Hi Connie,
Lovely image of this sister of the moon. It’s so hard with the Three Sisters to decide which mountain to include when cropping to get a size that feels impactful. I think you did well here to include Broken Top and South Sister, leaving Bachelor and the other Sisters out of the frame.

Are you shooting this from south of Prineville or Powell Butte? Maybe Brasada Ranch or Alfalfa? I know this view well as I have a place in the PLA 2 community south of Prineville.

If it were my image (and I would be proud of it if it were), I might be inclined to go with something closer to a cinematic 16:9 aspect ratio. That would really bring us in to the scale of South Sister and the moon.

ML

That is definitely the blue hour indeed. I think the haze is just right. I love the streaky clouds overlaying the huge moon. Nice definition in the mountains. It seems to me that there is a lot of noise in the image, though. This is one of my favorite areas of my home state.