Moonrise in the Fog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I looked out late one evening in 2017 to see the not-quite-full moon had made it above the hill to the east just as darkness was falling and fog rolling in. I broke fingernails grabbing the tripod and camera and managed several shots before the fog blotted everything out. It was swirling around, either too thin or too thick, and I only got about 3 shots worth keeping. Some while back I had posted one from about 15 minutes earlier, but don’t find that I have posted this one before, so I’ll toss it in here.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 2.21.23 PM

Some global tonal tweaking in LR and a little cleanup in PS – mostly to remove the mast for my husband’s ham radio antenna toward the left.

1 Like

Nice catch, Diane and great capture. Well done.

I like it Diane. I like that the moon is not overly large and not too bright. There is a tendency to do that with these type of images.

Beautifull, atmospheric picture, Diane, perfect composition and intriguing blacks. I admire your image!

Thanks, @linda_mellor, @Igor_Doncov and @HennyJA! It was a unique opportunity with the fog.

1 Like

I really appreciate the moody mystery and that it wasn’t overly exposed. The fog softens the moon’s light. I love it when a photo gives me the opening few sentences to a story, and this one did.

Thanks, @Denise_Dethlefsen – it was wonderful to be able to get this! That was an unusual fog event – it doesn’t usually roll in with features like that. It usually just slowly obscures everything.