Morning Moonlight over Bandon

Re-work (spots removed; red lessened):

Original post:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a quiet and early morning at Bandon Beach, Oregon. The moonlight reflecting on the smoothed ocean water was beautiful, and added to the story of the slumbering princess.

Technical Details

8 second exposure, f/18, ISO 500.

Excellent!! I love the light on the water!! And a perfect exposure on the moon!

I know there is some light from the beachfront, but I wonder about pulling down the reds just a bit? I see a couple of sensor spots and if it were mine (wish it was!) I’d get rid of the faint jet trail or whatever it might be.

The water, reflection, and the moon are all perfectly exposed. The water wash speaks of a gentle ocean that is not crashing into the shore. It sets a beautiful mode of peace. I love it.

@Diane_Miller, what a great eye you have! I didn’t even notice the spots or streaks. Thank you. I’ve posted the re-work in the original post.
I removed those with the spot removal tool in Photoshop, and I also lowered the saturation in the Red channel by -15. On my computer screen I see a difference, but it may not have translated to this re-work. Then, back to Lightroom for a -5 color vignette.
Thanks again for your comments!

@Barbara_Djordjevic hi there! Thanks very much for your kind words. My time in Bandon was magical and peaceful. It was back in 2021, yet the memories are still so very vivid.

1 Like

Mark, this is a fine moonset view with the ocean and the rocks. The reduced is easily seen. After looking for a bit, I see the face looking at the moon. The day before a full moon is a good time to shoot moonset, since there’s still some daylight, but it’s easy to balance with the brightness of the full moon. (I do assume that you’ve burned-in the moon, since the reflection is so much brighter, but I’d be inclined to leave the bright reflection as is, since it adds well to the depth of the scene.

@Mark_Seaver , Thank you for your feedback. I didn’t realize that about the timing with a full moon, that the day before is good for moonsets. I’ll remember that.
I didn’t remember if I did any burning or not, so I went back to the original imported Raw file (attached). I didn’t do any burning, and the Raw file kind of shows the reflection as brighter than the moon. Interesting optics!

Yes indeed, not the expected optics. Possibly due to atmoshperic dimming (scattering) of the moonlight due to the low angle, but then why doesn’t it also effect the reflection…

I remember this morning. You did a great job capturing the scene.

Thanks @Chris_Baird. Such an incredible scene. What a place!