Early Morning on the Beach

From the archives. I have been going through my older images to see if I have halos around subjects against the sky. Those halos are generally due to the over application of highlights/shadows, contrast, clarity, or structure. I’ve found several images that suffer that, so I am reworking them. This one is from 2016 in Bandon Beach, Oregon. It was early morning, before sunrise and the light was so nice with a pretty smooth reflection.

The large stack on the left is known as Wizards Hat, Howling Dog, and possibly other names depending on what direction you’re looking at it.

Anyway, I am pleased with the processing and no halos…

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DSR, 35mm, 30 sec @ f/8, ISO 100, tripod, polarizer.

3 Likes

Beautiful shot, David. Thanks for posting and for the processing tips.

I think that this is really nice and I’m enjoying the centered composition. It’s a simple image and very beautiful. One thing I would wish for would be for a tiny bit more space on the right side but that’s relatively minor.

This is wonderful! I love the way the long ss rendered the waves on the right as a gossamer fog. Wonderful detail and light, and the darker gradient at the base gives it a firm footing.

I battle the same halos, often having to select the sky and clone them down. I’ve found a linear profile can sometimes let me minimize them. I need to explore what the new selection tools in LR can do.

You just gotta love these reflections, they look awesome, and add an element of abstraction to this image. I also love the look of the long exposure surf on the right. The processing looks great David, you rescue job was very successful.

This is a beautiful image - not many folks take pictures of Bandon beach in the morning and you captured a wonderful still moment. The longer exposure really works and your processing is really nice. Love the subtle colors in the rocks. This rock is Howling Dog, Wizards Hat is around the corner to the south.

1 Like