Bandon Beach Sunrise

Sunrise on Bandon Beach, Oregon. This was taken in 2010. I couldn’t believe the light on that cloud, from the sun rising behind me. It was absolutely incredible. I tried to keep the light and color to what I saw there.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds III, 24mm Tilt/Shift, 1/4 Sec @ f/11, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer.

4 Likes

It might not be obvious, but sunrises on the west coast can be spectacular. This is lovely. I like the way the lines of the waves mimic the clouds. I wouldn’t change anything.

Amazing weather phenomenon. The clouds opened up like a rose. This is actually a really good image imo. The clouds just look unreal. The relationship between the land and sky is very unusual and that’s what I find intriguing. The blue foam, however, I might desaturate maybe just a smidge. Also the rock in the fg is cool or colorless while the distant ones are warm as though there was sunlight on them. It looks as though that large fg rock was processed differently. But it’s the cloud that defines this image.

I love this image, David. There’s so much motion, everything looks so alive! It kind of has the feel of exploding outwards but also like you’re being drawn into it as well. With the ss even the rocks look like they’re moving. Great composition!

Great clouds and real nice scene. Before reading the comments, my first thought was to pull out the blue/cyan from the waves and then saw that Igor had the same idea. Good one.

That cloud looks like its from somewhere tropical like Hawaii or Indonesia not the Pacific North West! It looks great!

Personal preference perspective - I would have shot this at 1s or 0.8s just to smooth the water streaks a bit more.

1 Like

Incredible clouds, incredibly lit. I’m glad you caught this gorgeous morning scene.

A wonderful dynamic scene! The cloud is spectacular and I’d be tempted to give it a little more saturation and tonal structure.

I’ve never tried using my TS-E with a huge looming cloud like this. I assume you would have used some tilt for the ground, but would that have softened the cloud, or does its distance allow it to remain sharp? I’m familiar with the issue of tall trees in the midground falling out of the tilted focal plane.

David, This is a wonderful image! Impressive scene with that amazing cloud formation. The light, color and water motion all look great to me.