Dawn on the Oregon Coast

Bandon Beach, Bandon, Oregon, May 2015.

For years I’ve planned an annual week-long trip down (or up) the Oregon coast in May or September. At least until the pandemic. I hope to get back to that soon.

This was a soft light, pastel dawn morning, just prior to actual sunrise. I really liked the soft light and the sky reflection in the tide pool.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D III, EF 24-70 f/2.8 @ 39mm, 1 sec @ f/11, ISO 100, Tripod, probably a polarizer…

3 Likes

David, as I was scrolling through images I saw this and said to myself, “those rocks and sand look familiar”. Sure enough, Bandon, where I was last week!
I like this morning, pastel scene. The clouds reflecting in the pond are beautiful. I think there’s a nice balance in the composition, with the big rock on the right balanced by the brightness in the sky on the top the left. And the pond in the foreground nicely leads me through the image from front to back.

@Mark_Muller, thanks for the comments. I’m glad you were able to make it to Bandon. It’s definitely my favorite place on the Oregon coast.

Like Mark, I was also at Bandon last week, so this photo caught my eye. This is a peaceful, quiet photo. I like the placement of the rocks within the frame. The sky is lovely and the reflection adds so much.

A very nice image. Great placement of the rocks, the water has a pleasing shape and of course the reflection in it is great. One idea could be to reduce the brightness of the upper part of the sky a tad, still keeping it lighter than the reflection. Also, the left surface of the large rock to the right, and its plants at the bottom, could be lightened a little. I gave it a quick try:

David,
This has a wonderful balance and harmony to it and I think those lovely pastel colors in the scene only reinforce that mood. The clouds reflected in the pool of water is a nice touch and those rocks along the right and left edges balance each other rather nicely IMO. I do like @Ola_Jovall’s small tweak in the URC as it has made an already beautiful image even better. I can see why you like to make a trip to this area so much.

Thanks all. @Ola_Jovall, thanks for the suggestions, I will like at the full size image and make those changes. Much appreciated everyone. Thanks.