Sunrise Cannon Beach

Catching a spectacular sunrise on the Oregon coast during the tail end of fall was a spectacular experience. I didn’t expect great light on this visit to the coast but was definitely treated to a show! I really enjoy setting up where the waves are coming in to use the highlights in the foam as foreground and leading lines. It is a bit sketchy though as I realized during this adventure watching the waves rush past leaving me standing knee deep unable to move very quickly! Definitely keep your eyes on the ocean and what is in the waves if you plan to do something similar. Many have been dragged out to sea or been hit by debris on the Oregon coast.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Compellingimaging

I like how you captured the surf and the detail in the rock. I believe it is named Hay Stack. This brings back some great memories. But I was not there for the great light. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I really like the line of the surf - diagonals will nearly always work to make a composition interesting. Really wish you had more space at the top. That’s pretty cramped. Glad you didn’t get bashed or swept out to sea! The rocks seem a little bright to me considering the sky…not sure of your settings as you didn’t include them. Seems like a popular place to shoot a sunrise.

1 Like

What I can see of the sky makes me want to see a lot more of it! The stack feels very cramped by the frame. I would sacrifice some of the FG for more room top and sides.

1 Like

Hi Kyle, this is a really dynamic photo of a sea stack on the Oregon coast. Having visited out there for the first time this August, I’m well aware that some waves are more powerful than others. So, the diagonal water line works fine as a leading line and love the sunrise-colored sky. The main subject seems a bit cramped, and a little more room on the right and some more of that beautiful sky at the top would improve. Also wondering if a few more seconds of exposure would have made the water more “misty”.