Cobble Beach Sunrise

This particular morning on Cobble Beach was very productive photographically as I came away with several images that I liked. For this one I cropped some of the sky as all the good stuff was close to the horizon. The light was absolutely fantastic as it provided a lovely warm glow on Otter Cliffs as well as a multitude of highlights on the cobbles.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 26 mm, f 20 @ 1 sec, ISO 100, 3 stop GND for sky, tripod & cable release

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great light on the rocks and water and a real nice sky, too. The light on the cliffs is awesome and leaves me wanting to see more of them. It is an optical illusion, but the scene looks tilted CW to me, but it is level. Real nice image, Ed.

Ed, love the warmth to this one. Great job with the rising sun position, exposure, and high-key detail sunburst. Just the right amount of cobble stones upfront there IMO. I did like the bit of cliff sighting along the edge of the frame. Seems to work well from this POVā€¦:+1:
btw: I think one of your previous sunrise takes I stated sunsetā€¦east coast / west coast thing I guessā€¦:clown_face:

I agree that the light on those rocks is extremely beautiful. Good timing, too, with showing the sun right on the horizon. I am a little torn about this three way split of the image. The image as a whole is balanced but individual layers are disjointed from the rest. I am wondering if processing it in such a way that the sun rays are extended to the entire scene will make a stronger image.

Paul, there arenā€™t many east coast members here at NPN, so you are forgiven :grinning:
But I will say this, at least we have more incentive to get up earlier than those on the left coast.

1 Like

Ed, Iā€™m really enjoying this image, you had one awesome sunrise. And with all the fog and rain at Acadia, these type of mornings donā€™t happen too often. The rim lighting on the cobbles is spectacular, and is nicely processed on your part. The smaller version looks slightly dark on my monitor, but I think it looks fine when you view the larger image. I also like the three relatively spaced layers here, sky, water, and cobbles.

As you know, Iā€™ve shot here many times before , and the lure of including mostly Otter Cliff itself can be strong. But I like how you did it here, pointing more to the left to emphasize the dramatic sunrise, but including just enough Otter Cliff to get balance, without the cliffs dominating the scene.

Ed - Iā€™m going to be perfectly honest and say that there are elements of this image that I really like and some that I really donā€™t. Iā€™ll start with the good stuff :smiley:

I love the sky! I l particularly like that Itā€™s a wedge and there is a good grading of colour and layers in it. Albeit a tiny bit dark in the upper left corner. I also think the image has been processed nicely (again maybe a touch dark but that may be the light in my room).

Now for the stuff I donā€™t really like :frowning:
I donā€™t feel that the image draws you in. You have the beach on itā€™s own at the front, the sun on the left and the cliff on the right, but they donā€™t connect for me. I find the cliffs very distracting and hesitantly say the image may be better without them in.

I hope the cc helps!

Eugene

Ed,

I really like the richness and depth youā€™ve managed to keep within the warm tones here, and the captured reflected light on the cobbles is well treated.

I also like the overall mood of the image with the deep contrast and the feeling of an eruption of colour and light.

However, the image feels unbalanced and I donā€™t think the cliff adds much to your composition, despite the lovely light it is catching. Itā€™s presence adds tension to the image, but I feel that it serves only to distract my eye rather than an additional detail to savour.

Also, there is a sickliness to the yellows which increases the further to the right of the image you travel, which feels unsettling.

Overall, thereā€™s a lot to like here, and iā€™m glad that you came away from the spot with several strong images.

Regards,

Rich

Nice shot Ed, I love the colors, the foreground rocks and the way you handled this high dynamic range shot. I have mixed feelings about the cliff on the right. I like how it balances the sun but it feels kind of cut off.

Gorgeous Ed!

Just love the image in general, but I like the balance in the image between the stones, sea and sky. As already mentioned, love the light on the cliff, but am wishing for a bit more of the headlands.

Very minor, but you might consider cloning out the little blip on the horizon right of center. Maybe a ship? No biggie though.

Thoroughly enjoyable image!

Lon

You have a very sharp eye Lon, that is actually a buoy, which is the bane of my existence and that gets cloned out of all of my Otter Cliff images.

Iā€™m sure @Ed_Lowe has just gotten tired of doing this like I haveā€¦

And donā€™t get me started on all the lobster pots floating in the water at Acadia, I pay for every lobster dinner with hours of cloning in Photoshop :grinning:

1 Like

Many thanks to @Harley_Goldman, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_McGuirk, @Eugene_Theron, @Richard_Bauld, @Blake_Randall and @Lon_Overacker for taking the time to leave a thought as it is always appreciated.

This image was all about compromises. In the past I have taken images of various elements in the scene, but none with the sunrise and Otter Cliffs as the sun rises to far to the left. I did not want to go any wider as it would have made the cliffs to small. Looking back I probably should have shot another frame with more on the right with the idea of making a pano. Oh well, thatā€™s all the more reason to go back and try again.:grinning:

@Paul_Breitkreuz: I hear you.
@Lon_Overacker: Ed caught me as it is a buoy.
@Ed_McGuirk: Somehow I forgot that buoy as I always clone it out also. I did clone out a boat with a light along the horizon so I guess I just got side tracked.

An amazing image here. I like the cliffs as presented but more cliffs would be nice since the reflection off them is so good. Overall though I donā€™t feel the cliffs as presented take away anything for me. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

I like this as presented, Ed. Great light and clouds. FG boulders look awesome. Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t see the ā€œsicklyā€ yellow that bothers Richard.Looks like normal sunrise yellow to me.:vulcan_salute:

Thanks guys @Andrew_Sentipal and @Michael_Lowe; glad you enjoyed the image.