Stormy Sunrise

A stormy sunrise from Cobble Beach in Acadia NP, ME. the blowing wind created some lovely wave action along the shoreline, but I had to keep checking the lens for water drops. Is this a great way to start the day or what! :grinning:

Thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 18 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
**_You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques

This definitely would be a great way top start the day! I really like the stormy ocean scene. It is moody yet that sliver of color on the horizon is like a breath of hope in the storm - very nice! The shutter speed works well for me too. A longer exposure to smooth out the waves would have taken away from the mood I think. I thought about suggesting cropping a bit from the left so the foreground stones would not be so centered, but I’m not sure that would work as the color of the sunrise might be too centered. I hope the rest of your day was as well rewarded!

That is definitely an Acadia type sunrise, the stormy weather there can be so dynamic. This is the type of shot where you better have insurance for your camera gear :grinning:

I like the composition, the arrangement of cobblestones is nicely balanced. I think you have included just enough sky to give a sense of a stormy morning, and that orange glow near the sun is wonderful. i initially thought a small crop form the right might help, but I’m not sure, it may place the sun-glow too far to the right. i like the color you have in the sky in water, it adds to the stormy mood of the image.

This is subjective on my part, but I would consider warming up the rocks slightly, while leaving the color balance in the sky and water unchanged. This would add some cool/warm color contrast to the scene, which would also work well as a counterpoint to the orange in the sky.

Nicely done Ed.

Ed, this is a delightful, “start the day”, view with the stormy waves and the touch of color on the horizon. How nice to get some detail in the clouds as well as in the water. The textures in the waves look great.

This is really good. I love the orange glow contrasting with the cool tones of the rest of the image. I might consider a slight CCW rotation, but very minor. Most enjoyable.

Absolutely a great way, Ed ! This is very well composed and gives a real feel of a choppy sea, but what I most like about it is the delicacy of touch shown in the capture of that minimal burst of colour in the rising sun.

Ed, I love your choice of shutter speed. This composition works for me. This is a matter of personal preference but I think overall the image appears to be a little too cyan for me. Other than that, this is really pleasing as presented.

Wonderful seascape Ed! Dare I say a wonderful, “nuclear” sunrise? I don’t like the reference
 but the glow on the horizon
 I couldn’t help it.

Colors are wonderful throughout and the action in the surf is just right; I like the timing of the wave up front reaching it’s peak before breaking

I like the composition as is and wouldn’t crop. for me, this loosely fits with the rule of thirds (horizon and sun position) and so feels nicely balanced.

Only suggestion would be to clone out that little dark thing? on the breaking wave just below the horizon? Have no idea what that is, but a little distracting.

Lon

Many thanks to @Steve_Kennedy, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman, @Ian_Wolfenden, @Adhika_Lie, and @Lon_Overacker for taking a moment to leave your thoughts; always appreciated. Here is a repost with your suggestions.

Steve: It was as I came away with four images that I really liked that morning.
Ed and Adhika: Good call on the cyan. I sometimes have a habit of adding to much warmth, but this time I did not go far enough. For the repost I removed 10 points of cyan.
Harley: You have a good eye as I rechecked and the horizon and it did need one degree of CCW rotation.
Lon: I had not noticed that, but the wave is breaking over a rock ledge. I removed it and it does look better.

What’s not to like? Dramatic sky, pounding waves, impressive FG. I initially didn’t have any suggestions untill I read Ed’s about warming the boulders. You’re repost makes a great photo even better.

Sweet wave textures Ed, and the overall mood the color brings really tells the story.

Thanks for your thoughts @Michael_Lowe and @John_Williams; glad you enjoyed the image.

This is a very powerful image, but it MUST be seen in the full size version. The thumbnail catches your eye because of the striking orange glow, but the full drama - the waves, the clouds and the faint glow of sunrise - is only seen in the large image. Very very nicely done, Ed!