Stormy

I hope you don’t mind, but I have a few more from our last trip to Cape Henlopen SP, DE. There was no sunrise color on this particular morning, but the clouds along with the blue tones in the sky were quite nice and I was not about to pass them up. The waves were also not bad so I just tried to time the shots for something interesting. Here is one of the ones I liked while shooting down along one of the two breakwaters along the beach.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @35mm, f 14 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

Ed, we don’t mind at all, keep 'em coming. I really like the balance in this image. The clouds are nicely framed, and that far wave provides an excellent separation. Great shot and great selection of shutter speed.

1 Like

This is a really unique angle for an ocean coast scene. I really love the perspective and composition. The clouds, water and rocks all are awesome!

1 Like

You handled the dynamic range admirably well Ed. The rock is black yet has rich texture and the clouds look fluffy as they should. Interesting combination of light and somber.

1 Like

I like the movement and textures in the water and all the details in the rocks. It feels a bit right-side heavy to me with the rocks and the dominant cloud, but that is just my subjective perception.

1 Like

No, not bored, keep these coming Ed.

It’s an unusual composition for a seascape, and is a bit right heavy, but in the end it works okay for me. You did do a great job handling the dynamic range. And I do love how the small wave is curling up in the LRC.

And I just couldn’t resist seeing this stormy day in B&W, although it has a different mood.

1 Like

I really like the b$w treatment of the image. The sky now is in tune with the dark rocks. The overall feel of the image is very different than the original. This is more than just a conversion.

Thanks everyone @David_Bostock, @Vanessa_Hill, @Igor_Doncov, @DeanRoyer and @Ed_McGuirk for taking your time to leave your thoughts; always appreciated. I agree it is just a tad right heavy, but I tried to minimize that by not including more of the heaviness of the breakwater.

@Ed_McGuirk : Thanks for taking the time to do a B&W conversion as I do like what you came up with. I just got to hung up on enjoying the blue tones in the sky of the original.

I love the composition and the scene. I wonder about bringing out a bit more tonal detail in both the dark rocks and the light sky. I had to have a look. I’d be tempted to bring even more drama into the clouds, as @Ed_McGuirk did.

1 Like

Great shot, Ed. The comp works well for me. I guess technically it would be considered right heavy. But to me it doesn’t present that way. I really like @Ed_McGuirk 's B&W rework. I was going to ask you why you didn’t think of that, but you explained it to me.