Stormy seashore

trying to capture the force of the gulf in florida.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all suggestions. i am a novice at converting to black and white. is the tonality balanced? any post processing suggestions?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iso 100 24 mm f22 .4 sec

Frank, with these clouds and dynamic wave action, you have done a great job of capturing the force of the Gulf. The composition is very well balanced, nice placement of the pilings. Some other very interesting elements here are the spray and the white lines of the receding surf in the lower right quadrant. I would suggest trying to emphasize them even further by darkening the midtones and darker tones around them. Here is a rework where I used TK darks and midtone luminosity masks to burn those areas. I also think darkening the darker tones in the sea makes the clouds more prominent too.

1 Like

I love this image, Frank. In fact, I like virtually all of your b&w work. There’s a lot of tension and emotion in this work, and it’s really not just due to the cloudy sky. It’s a great bit of seeing on your part to come up with this group of elements together in a way that works so well: The two pilings connected by the white water and the rocks beyond that. No, this is really excellent. I’m wondering how many shots it took for everything to fall into place so well.

I do like @Ed_McGuirk’s work as well. It’s even more moodier. I guess it depends on how you want this to feel. I like them both.

2 Likes

Frank, this is a really good b&w image. I am novice myself when it comes to b&w images, so I could not give any advise, instead it is an opportunity for me to look and learn!

This is wonderful, as covered above. I have to wonder about finding more detail in the splashing waves. though.