Iceland sea and mountains

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and all.
should i have darkened/burned around the edges?
darkened the skies more?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 100 16 mm f22 2 seconds

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This turned out real nice. I think a light vignetting would work well on this image, but the sky looks right to my eye, given the overall lighting.

Strong composition with nice lines created by the receding surf. Processing looks good but the blacks look a little weak. Maybe my monitor but I think the contrast/black point could be increased.

Beautiful tones and water action in this, Frank. There’s a lot going on but it’s composed so well that it doesn’t appear too busy. Excellent work. No nits from me.

This is a fine image, Frank, and well composed. The rocks provide lots of nice anchoring of the FG, and the swirling leading lines of the water are wonderful to carry my eye into the distance. I particularly like the distant headland to help balance the comp. You maybe could work different options for tonal values, but this is honestly pretty impressive as is, and I’d be proud to have such an image.

Frank,

Outstanding composition and seascape in general. I’m really enjoying the flow of water emanating from the foreground rocks as the water recedes. and then how it draws the eye deeper in to the scene to the mountains and complimentary sky.

Processing wise, I would agree with other comments taking a look at contrast and the blacks. Upon closer look of the larger view, I’m wondering about the mountain slopes in the bg. The look bright, as if there is direct sun and the shadows on the peaks seem like direct also, but everything in the scene appears diffused - which matches the sky. And I can’t tell if the slopes of the peaks are sand or snow? And the base of those slopes really lack some contrast - which may be how it was, plus add some sea mist and I can get that.

No doubt you have an awesome image to work from. I’m no expert on b&w processing other than clicking sliders in Nik’s Silver EFex Pro2 plugin. Huge upside potential here.

Lon

Very much like this as is. The darker ridge creates a nice counterpoint to the grays throughout the rest of the scene and the whites in the water create some great movement. A fine image made even better with the B&W treatment.

I don’t think I would globally darken the blacks, because they’re already pretty contrasty in the mountain peaks and some of the shadows of the rocks. I think the issue with contrast here lies in the gray midtones that make up most of the image (the water, sky, and lower half of the mountains). So I’d try some midtone contrast in these areas only, and/or adjusting the black point in these areas only. You could also try darkening the top part of the sky more on the left 2/3 side, to help keep wandering eyes in the frame where they belong.

Overall the composition works well - I thought it was a bit center-heavy at first with the mountain peak and that clump of rocks stacked vertically in the middle, but I don’t know that pointing more left or right would have improved anything. The flow of water is perfect.

Wow, the lines in the water are amazing. To the point, maybe tastefully try to punch those up a bit? Hopefully, that wouldn’t overwhelm the rest of the image.

One of my favourite locations! I like what you’ve done with the foreground, capturing the swirls to the mountains. While it seems more in vogue to process this sort of image dark and brooding I like the softer touch here too.