Iceland sand dunes

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 100 20 mm f20 1.3 sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

The way the shape of the dunes interacts with the background peaks is powerful Frank. Meanwhile the foreground lighting is a perfect setup for the morning (evening?) light on the peaks and clouds. Along with the dune forms the sweeping grass gives the feel of an ocean in motion, further enlivening the scene. I’m running out of adjectives, but take it as a sign that this image really moves me.

Nice images Frank! I’ve always been a big fan of this scene despite never going there myself (yet).

In terms of processing I think it has been done really nicely. I especially like the textures and tones in the dunes. The top right of the image can be slightly distracting. I assume this was from using a CPL? I would have a go at graduating it out a bit.

I do find the the framing of the shot pulls you off in too many directions though. There is a nice line created my the dune on the left that lead you to the peak on the left. That makes it feel like its drawing you out of the image and away from the right on the shot. A similar thing is happening with the grasses on the right drawing you that way. IMO this shot should be all about the mountain rather that one of the sides. The left of the mountain also has a good deal of ‘breathing space’ whereas the right hand side of it feels a bit tight. I think if you had taken a step to the left and slightly angled the camera to the right the mountain would have sat more centrally in the frame. The grass stalk on the mountain would also have been isolated from the peaks.

Hope all that helps

In the interests of full disclosure, I’ve known Frank for many years, and recently introduced him to NPN, welcome to the Landscape Critique forum Frank.!!! I may also make some slightly tougher comments than I normally would, just to show no favoritism :grinning:

Seriously though, Frank I really like the subject and the soft light you have here. The alpenglow on the mountains and the pink clouds are just great. And I think those mid-ground dunes add a lot to the composition to create depth. The colors and white balance look great to me.

But like @Eugene_Theron, I think the composition could be improved, the foreground is an issue. I think the large amount of negative space in the lower left corner (LLC) doesn’t add as much interest as the grasses in the LRC, and as a result the comp becomes unbalanced. I think the image should be more about the mountain and sky, and would go with a panoramic aspect ratio. I find the grasses protruding into the mountains on the right to be a distraction, so clone them away. In terms of processing, while the light here is soft, I think it could benefit from a small boost in mid-tone contrast, especially in the foreground. I downloaded this and took a stab at re-working it. This image has a lot of potential, and is certainly worth some time to tweak the processing.

Frank, after posting the above, I reconsidered and might take the pano even further, and I forgot to mention a stronger vignette would probably help too. Here is a revision.

thanks for the suggestions!!

1 Like

i wouldn’t expect anything other than tough comments from you!!! we have known each other a long time. and i appreciate it!

thanks for your comment and suggestions. i tend to like your first revision rather than your second. the second seems too tight to me. but obviously all this is subjective. but great suggestions. thanks.

I suggested the second more pano crop to further address my sense of unbalanced comp, i think the first rework still left too much negative space in the LLC. I also really like the dune in the center of crop #2, and it becomes more emphasized in #2. Crop #2 still feels more balanced to me, but I’ll admit that pano aspect ratios are not for everyone.

Fabulous images, all iterations. I do like best the final re-post suggested by Ed. It is indeed an interesting foreground, and I think there is a stylistic trend these days to exaggerate foreground in a composition. I know I always look for ways to do that, but as with this image, it sometimes works better to reduce foreground to emphasize the subject.
ML

Frank, I find the sand dunes to be interesting. I think that the mountains are such a prominent feature that I am wondering if you could do with a bit less FG, and go with a slightly wider view, knowing that may not have been possible given your focal length. To me that warm sunlight on the peaks is one of the more appealing features.

This is a fantastic and powerful image, Frank. The light is beautiful and fleeting, and the shape of the compositional elements contrasts movement in the foreground with ruggedness in the mountains. Your exposure is well balanced throughout and focus is very good throughout the frame.

I also like the full frame image for focal depth and grand sweeping lines.

I can’t help but wonder how it translates to B&W to reduce the composition to its shapes and values, so I took the liberty to try it. I started with B&W profile 07 in LR, increased the brightness of the foreground grass and the mountains through adjustment of several of the color gray sliders in B&W adjustments panel, while darkening the sky for drama.

Anyway, well done.

This is one of the nicest photos of this Icon.
You had terrific light and colors and low angle really worked with the dunes.
Congrats.

A dramatic subject, and the splash of light and color the peeking sun is giving looks good. For my eye, the scene seems to bright overall, with little contrast between the lit peaks and the rest of the image. Darking the scene sum, but holding the lighting on the peaks, might add focus back there.