Seashore patterns

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

iso 400 16 mm f20 1.0 sec

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is excellent! I love the lines in the foreground. You did a great job converting this.

Just a suggestion, but you could look into darkening the sky, and adding little more contrast there for a more dramatic look.
-P

Frank,

Indeed the patterns here are fantastic. Honestly, in viewing the smaller original several times I had the impression this was blowing snow over ice; the snow covered mountain only confirmed for me this was a winter scene - Like Lake Abraham or somewhere in the Canadian Rockies.

Then finally opening the large view I noticed the breaking ocean wave… Ahhhh, this is patterns in the sand! duh. It’s the snow covered mountain throwing me off. :wink:

I do like Preston’s idea of darkening the sky. Perhaps not along the horizon, but more towards the top which may help keeping the eye in the frame. Otherwise the tones and contrast look excellent.

Great job with the fascinating and intriguing patterns leading the eye in to the scene.

Lon

Frank, this is a perfect scene for B&W treatment, that sand cries out to be done in B&W. You have done a wonderful job with handling the tones that are in the streaks in the sand. I think the contrast level you have used here is good, especially in the sand and mountain. I think the contrast in the sky is okay, although I can see why the others have suggested darkening the sky a bit for more drama, especially in the URC.

I know this is subjective, but I think the composition could be improved by flipping this horizontally. This now has the mountain “flowing” from left to right, which is more pleasing to my taste. I think the horizontal flip creates a more dynamic comp. I would also burn down the bright area in the sand just below the mountain’s reflection. You also have numerous dust bunnies in the sky to clone away, B&W conversion often brings out dust that you can’t see in color. Here is a re-work along the lines of what I discussed (dust bunnies not done).

Thanks! Great suggestions.

Great use of those fabulous sand patterns. I would have preferred an angle where the streak lead more diagonally towards the mountain but the way you’ve arranged it and got the reflection works great too. I personally wouldn’t flip it as its such a famous and heavily photographed location anyone who’s been to Lofoten will just find it very disconcerting.