Cobbles and Color # 2

Another image from Cobble Beach taken the same morning as my last post. For me this one has a very different mood; more subdued and gentle where as the prior one was more bold and in your face because of the colors. This scene was shot as a horizontal and I liked the pano crop better.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 22 mm, f 18 @ 30 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Ed, I think I prefer this image to the first one. To me, the most interesting thing in this scene is the thin strip of mist created by the long exposure where the water meets the rock. The color and light on the rocks are nice too. For my taste, I would like to see a composition that has the entire frame filled by that sort of mist, because the foreground and background aren’t as interesting to me. For this particular image, I would crop a little bit off the left and right because I’m seeing some darker stuff in the upper corners that aren’t congruent with the rest of the image. On the right side, the crop would at least come in to remove the space between the edge of the frame and the longer, darker rock toward the top. Hope that helps!

Ed,

I too prefer this version by a slight margin (they’re both beautiful!) I pretty much echo Brent’s comments; and just like previously, I’m loving the intersection between the stone and the sea and the effects of the longer exposure.

Also enjoy the colors here. The previous image post the brilliance of the color in the water almost overwhelmed the cobble stones and misty water. Here there’s a nice balance between all of it.

Yeah, there’s a crop or two in here, but this is pretty darn sweet as is.

Lon

Thanks for taking the time to leave a thought @Brent_Clark and @Lon_Overacker; always appreciated. I did not know how well this would be received as people tend to like the bolder flasher versions rather than subdued ones. Here is a repost with Brent’s crop suggestion. I plan on trying out a couple of different compositions I have in mind the next time back in Acadia.

Nice. I really like this, with the stones and that lovely, soft, muted color and light all through it. As Lon said, yes, you could crop this several different ways, but this is pretty sweet just as it is!
Fantastic job on the mist, and the light hitting the tops of those rocks is just right. Nice, nice, nice!