Mystery in Bandon

There have been so many gorgeous images posted here from Bandon, Oregon. I was there last month and want to add this to the collection, one of my favorites from that absolutely stunning location. I like how the low-lying clouds seem like mountains off in the distance, continuing the scene from the near sea stacks off to the more distant sea stacks.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Taken around 8am.
1/250, f/18, 70mm, ISO 100, on a tripod

9 Likes

I love this, Mark. It truly is mysterious. The receding layers really draw me through the image. The side lighting is glorious.

1 Like

A wonderful scene in its own right but the clouds are an amazing addition!!

1 Like

Sweet image, Mark! I absolutely love the mood and sense of mystery you captured in this scene. The diffused lighting is sublime coming through the fog; in fact otherworldly almost; and helps create some wonderful depth to this. I think that little pool of water toward the LRC adds so much to this lovely image. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

A stunning image! I didn’t know the distant “mountain looking” cloud was actual cloud. Well seen.
The light from the side is beautiful.

1 Like

@Chris_Baird , @Diane_Miller , @Ed_Lowe , and @glennie , Thank you! The sun was rising so I had to move a couple times to keep it hidden! I’m glad it filtered through this way. And Ed, I really like that water there as well.

Wonderful image… the main thing that comes to my mind seeing this, is just how lucky you were so lucky to be at that beautiful place and moment in time, and experience it with it with your camera… that’s what makes landscape photography so dear, the process of winding done and being immersed in such surroundings… I love the way the light spreads and finds it’s way along the various elements in the scene. The tonality also, the absence of colour, apart from that warm light that illuminates the scene. Nicely done, @Mark_Muller

1 Like

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you have the right skills and sometimes, like this time, you have both. I can’t wait until we start getting fog here again.

1 Like

Really cool image of Bandon Mark. I was just through there about 2 weeks ago and can attest to how difficult it is to get something new and different from this location and not only is this different, it’s glowing with intrigue, and mood and light. The clouds that rise up and look like mountains in the background provide layers and depth to this image. Definitely a portfolio image Mark.

1 Like

Somehow this slipped past me, Mark. I know exactly where you were when you took this. I think the low clouds and sunlight coming through really do add mystery to this. A wonderful scene and I am sure a wonderful time in Bandon.

1 Like

I have nothing to add, just want to say that I love this image.

1 Like

Etherial light and graphic shapes. How can you go wrong? I also especially like the colour transitions here.

1 Like

@Nikos , @Chris_Calohan , @David_Haynes , @David_Bostock , @Ola_Jovall , @Nathan_Klein , Thank you all for your comments. @David_Haynes , I wouldn’t be surprised if we were on the same beach at the same time! @Chris_Calohan , that’s very kind of you to say. Fog is so great to shoot. @Nikos , it really was a special time to be there on the water’s edge, water coming up in little waves, with the light and sounds and smells. I was totally immersed!

Mark, This is a fantastic photograph! I absolutely love the conditions you captured in this wonderful scene. Excellent composition and work!

1 Like

I can’t add a word , all as been said but I want tell you: what a beautiful image Mark!

1 Like

Bandon may be a “tripod hole” type location, but I think this is a very personal and unique view of this famous location. To me this image is all about the shapes, forms, light, and the fog . And that little bit of water in the LRC puts it over the top. Really beautiful work here Mark :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@Nick_Bristol , @Giuseppe_Guadagno ,
and @Ed_McGuirk , thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated!

I am super late to the party, Mark. But I saw the thumbnail and I couldn’t help myself but add on to the superlatives that had been said here. Exquisitely gorgeous. The control on the highlights is amazing and I don’t know what else can be said about the composition. Extremely pretty.

1 Like