Faraway Bandon

Alternative:

Kind of a traditional “off into the distance” image, but I just had to capture this!

Specific Feedback Requested

Question: I’m wondering if the darkness of three rocks in the foreground is a bit too much, compared to the rest of the scene? The OP doesn’t have any extra work on shadows done by me, but in Lightroom I did apply a B&W profile (#2).
I am posting an alternative where I used an adjustment brush in Lightroom to lighten the 3 rocks.
What do you think?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D750 with 80-400mm lens, on a tripod.
170mm, f/11, 30 seconds, ISO 100.

I removed a distracting rock from the LRC thanks to a suggestion from Chris Baird.

1 Like

I enjoy the quiet but dramatic mood you conveyed. For me, seeing some more of the highlights in the dark rocks is pleasing, but the foggy effect at the base of the rocks is more pleasing in the lighter version. In the attached, starting with the darker image, I dodged the brighter portion of the two right rocks. The foreground is quite expansive and tends to make my eyes go left and right, rather than enter the scene, so I applied a freehand vignette. Also slightly increased contrast in a few of the water areas.

1 Like

I prefer your second one, Mark. While it may be less mysterious, it feels more like my eye would have seen it. B&W is perfect for this type of image. I love the stacking of the stacks.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Love this image and how you handled it. I might prefer the original more but I like both almost equally. I tried a crop and some vignetting.

1 Like

I like the first one best Mark! I think because I really like the background and with the rocks being darker it makes the background stand out more. I also like @Igor_Doncov crop as it too emphasizes the foggy background more which I think is the star of this scene! Which was by you, nicely seen!

1 Like

So many ways you can go with this! I do like the version having more detail on the FG rocks, as that’s what we would likely see.

1 Like

@Vanessa_Hill , @Diane_Miller , @David_Bostock , thanks very much for your thoughts. I usually don’t like to ask this question…”which version do you prefer”, because it’s such a personal choice for the photographer. I’m glad to see that both versions have appeal. Now I just need to pick one!

@Dick_Knudson, I like the different approach you took. Subtle, but it looks good. @Igor_Doncov , I like this alternative crop…it seems more dramatic! It is a lot different than what I saw, and just goes to show how we all see things differently.
Dick and Igor, I like the vignette idea that I somehow neglected. Definitely helps!
Thank you everyone!

Mark, I’d suggest some of both… :grinning: I like the high contrast in the first post, but do appreciate the subtle extra detail in the closest stacks in #2. The comp. looks spot on to me with a nice balance between the open water/sand in the foreground and the sky above, although you might make this more of a pano with about half of the sky cropped.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver , Thanks. I was starting to think something in-between too. Porridge not too hot, not too cold. :grinning:

Mark,

I agree that somewhere between the two would be my preference as well. Regardless, I really like this comp as is!

1 Like

This is an easy one for me Mark. I’d pick the original…I mean the alternative for sure…But I really like what @Dick_Knudson did and I love the crop that @Igor_Doncov has come up with so, yep, super easy decision.
OK, Great image and an easy call for black and white. I noticed immediately how that large background rock on the right side sort of creeps into/or out of the scene creating a little bit of an imbalance for me so I actually prefer Igor’s crop because it’s more balanced to my eye but only just so. and I like the tonal changes that Dick came up with so I’d merge those two. Hope that helps/confuses the issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your re-work has more details in the shadows but for me your original has a bit more mood. Both look good though.

1 Like