Out of the darkness

I noticed this small scene nearby a larger cascade that I was photographing. The rock poking out of the cedars caught my attention along with the shallow water flowing over the rocks.

Specific Feedback Requested

I struggled with the composition of this image and this one probably best conveys the feeling that I had standing in the river looking at this scene. I’m seeking feedback on this good but not great image. I’ve posted some of the other images I made while exploring this composition with limited processing.

Technical Details

Here are some alternative compositions that have only limited processing.

Hi Brian, if the rock is what drew you to the scene then your first alternate comp works really well for me.

For the initial pic, the rock is a bit lost, but I am drawn to the water flowing on the right and wish I could see more of the stream beyond the frame.

I like the processing, the really dark area under the Cedars really gives a sense of mystery. Nice.

Brian, I would second Davids thoughts and I especially like the first alternate comp.

Agree with the above comments and will go a bit farther to say you have two separate images in one. These two elements, while in the same stream, “say” different things to me as a viewer. Of course…please interpret my words with caution as it really is your vision, not mine. If these two elements do share a story in this image for you, then there is meaning and congruence within the image and perhaps you should honor that over the feedback you’re receiving. From my perspective, I’m unable to reconcile these two elements into a single “story” that has meaning for me as a viewer.

I really like your 2nd shot due to its graphic nature and would like to see the shadows lifted slightly as long as there’s no significant distractions in there. And, the series of gentle cascades on the right side of the image tell a story of great calm to me and I’d like to see that as perhaps a vertical comp.

Hope this helps! -J

I find this image to be very attractive. I agree with @Jim_McGovern’s opinion about it being two images in one, but I also find it very appealing as it is posted. The upper greenery , the rock on the mid left and the water movement in the lower right make for a nice balance. I do think opening the shadows of the greenery might help a little. I also like the first alternative composition a lot.