Harvest Moon

This was the full moon in November several years ago. (Digging into archives as it’s been very cloudy here lately.) I had shot it as it cleared the hill and was about to pack up when it began drifting into these light clouds. I got several as it moved through the thin band and then back into clear skies.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DX2, Canon 600mm + 1.4X, ISO 1600, f/9, 1/200 sec. Minimal adjustments in LR and to PS for NR and TK masks to bring out a tiny bit more detail in the landscape and clouds. Sky color tweak. No cropping.

1 Like

Diane you are on a roll here! I like all the posts so far, but your first one is absolutely killer.

Those light clouds are over the top, Diane. They make the image very special.

Diana, Goddess of the Moon!

Wow. Notice my dearth of moon images this week. Just have never done a good job and with yours up here already, I will not show any. Clearly they would not be up to par. Whatever you did to get that misty bit is a wonder to behold.

The Clouds over the top are excellent…

Thanks @David_Bostock, @Adhika_Lie, @Kris_Smith and @Dan_Kearl. Over the next 6 minutes I got a few more as the moon crawled its way above that thin cloud, which I hadn’t even seen before in the twilight sky. Here are a few, just processed raws. I’ll work some up in PS with TK masks and other tweaks as I have time.

All in all I shot 60 frames from the time the moon first peeked over the hill. Then I went home (this was from a spot about half an hour away) and got a very clean full moon higher in the sky. The air was good that night – sometimes a rising moon is trashed by dirty turbulent air.

in the last 3 or so you have great luminosity in the white clouds, as the evening falls. OK, no hill below, but I prefer those shots for the atmosphere they create!

Come on, Diane! 600mm! Shouldn’t I see the man waving! :grin: Really beautiful moon shots, though.

1 Like

Beautiful moon shots Diane! Good detail and I like the wispy clouds. Well done!

Holy cow! On a roll alright. Outstanding imagery!

Diane, this is good fun as at first glance it look like the moon is exploding. You’ve got a good balance with the sky’s light and the land. I think centering the moon here is a great idea.