Full Moon

This is probably the clearest shot I have of the full moon, shot high in the sky about midnight on a night with unusually clear air, before a lunar eclipse.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, Canon 600 f/4 + 1.4X, ISO 400, f/6.7, 1/2000 sec. Moderately overexposed but not to the point of losing highlight detail. Don’t remember for sure, but maybe I had the high ss so that as the moon began to dim in the eclipse I could hold onto the same settings as long as possible before having to go to a higher ISO. This was from 8 years ago so I may have been trying to avoid touching the camera as much as possible. I think I would have been running my first tracker which was not really adequate for that heavy lens.

Nothing very special here – tonal work in LR and PS, including a bit of Detail Extractor.

I’m wondering if TK masks would provide better tonal processing for images like this.

1 Like

Diane, that truly is as clear and as clean as I’ve ever seen. Excellent work on this one… :+1:
I’ll also give a slight credit to the apparently clear sky too… :cowboy_hat_face: