Mount Rundle by moonlight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a lovely night in Banff and went to the classic spot to see what the full moon might bring. I normally busy spot was virtually empty. The moon was rising behind the ridge on the right lighting up the mountain along with the light from town. I was pushing my self to photograph outside the typical hours. Taken in early June 2023

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcomed. The light is interesting but the composition could probably be better

Technical Details

13 sec, f2.8, iso 1600. 20mm (16-35mm) on full frame. Minimal processing

Hi Bryan,

great decision to leave your comfort zone and be out at that for shooting! :slight_smile: Full moon can change the nightly landscapes a lot.

Your image contains a lot of elements that I like: For example the black silhouette of the woods in front of the illuminated mountains.

But, to be honest, I would not have thought of a full moon, if you wouldn’t have mentioned it;-) So, I asked myself: What is the actual story of the image? Is it the mountain in the middle, ominously illuminated?

I hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty of downloading and working it a bit. What I did: The mountain left to the hero mountain as the mountain itself had some strange kind of greenish color cast, that I eliminated (roughly) with a color replacement.

Also, the blacks were deeply black and showed no information. You could either leave them out or pull the shadows up. I pulled them up quite a bit. I also darkened the sky, so that the light source (full moon?) is being strengthened. I cut the left side in order to put the mountain in the center. 2/3 for the sky is rather unusual, but I like it in this case.

Of course, that’s my own visualization that might not match your own feelings. Perhaps it still more looks like a sunset than a full moon rise. But I guess, your main object becomes a bit more prominent now.

Is that of any help?

Cheers,
Markus

1 Like

Bryan, the lighting does look good, with a fine collection of stars showing. I also like the gentle motion showing in the clouds. It’s a very peaceful view.