Alone in the Light

What makes this image expressive?

In framing up this image, the little tree expressed to me a sense of aloneness, yet resilience. Austerity, yet hopeful austerity. The rocks are barren, yet warm and round. Hard, but soft & shapely. I see faces in the rocks that make them seem alive.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure about the top right corner with the green and the spot that’s almost white…

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting Connie, and I love this little scene. I wrote a little earlier on another post with a lone tree in it about how good trees are at expressing human values. Aloneness is a very powerful one and this little one seems so fragile; almost miraculous.

I think the composition works fine, but you’re right in your own self-analysis that the green top right may feel a little incongruous.

Two options would be to make it black and white, where the colour no longer becomes an issue, or to crop it more down in to a square to eliminate the right side.

I think you’ve done a great job overall, but a consideration for the future it the role of the out of focus area in the bottom left. You could consider taking various images for focus stacking, and that way the sharpness of the rocks is a good frame, or make it even more out of focus, which will create a shallow depth of field and a more abstract concept.

Amazing little scene and I admire you for making this image.