Alone

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What does this image make you feel like?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I came across this scene almost accidentally. It’s a discarded metal drum. What could be interesting about that? But when I framed it in the viewfinder I found it arresting. I felt something. Unfortunately I can’t exactly say why. In a strange way I don’t want to know why. I’m afraid that if I find out I won’t feel it any more.

One thing I did find out. When I zoomed in on the object the overall feel went away. It had to be small.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11

Specific Feedback

Any emotional, conceptional, or aesthetic feedback is welcome.

1 Like

Hi Igor,
when I look at your picture, at first it radiates a sense of calm and peace: the soft mood, the subtle complementary colors, and the simplicity.
But then you discover that thing that doesn’t really belong there. The mood darkens somewhat when thoughts turn to current problems such as environmental pollution.

2 Likes

You’re being influenced by the title. I will change it from Discarded to Discord. That’s my objection to titles. They influence the interpretation.

First impression is breathtaking gentleness of tones, followed by an appreciation of the compositional lines of the elements in the photograph. And then the textures absorb my attention. This is a highly marketable photograph, I think.
After reading … I thought a bit about the drum … whether it had served as a small raft or … but it seemed no more out of place than the apparent clam digs in the sand; it was a focal point, but the lines converging on it and leading to the wave beyond formed the emotional strength for me.

1 Like

At first, when I saw the thumbnail, I thought “how beautifully soft the colors are, and what a lovely, quiet place to wander.” Then I launched the image to full size and saw the abandoned barrel and thought “how sad that someone could be so thoughtless to leave an old rusted barrel in such a beautiful place!”
My next thought was to launch Photoshop and put to use the newish “delete and fill selection” tool and rid myself of the offensive piece of junk! However, that does not eliminate the larger issue.
For me this gorgeous image is a reflection of the times and makes me sad.

Do you mean that eliminating the drum in a photograph does not eliminate it in the real world?

I have a similar image which I will post without the ‘junk’.

Perhaps I shouldn’t post this but I will. I am not looking for a literal reaction to this image. I am looking for an emotional one. For example:

My reaction to this image is similar to music. Violins or cellos are playing soft gentle music where tones flow into one another. Then there is the sound of a hammer coming down. A large bang that shatters the tranquility.

I’m writing this because I get a story as a response to a request for an emotional reaction to most of my images. Perhaps I should have stated that this image is not about pollution or the morality of pollution.

Yes. It is quite sad to me to go to any park, nature trail or historic monuments and see how the vast number of people are ruining these very special places. Seemingly no consideration for how precious and vulnerable the land and the natural resources are.

2 Likes

Just to be clear. My intention was not to be literal:

Had this been a boat than a good feeling arises. Since it’s junk then a bad feeling arises.

The intent is the contrast between soft flowing colors and tones to a bold dark object. Just the emotions that play out during such a scene, from such an interaction.

Ok, I get it and perhaps I am being to literal. I do get that the dark object does stop me from relaxing and enjoying the scene. If I was there in person, I feel I would still stop and wonder what in the world the object was and go to investigate. Therefore interrupting my peaceful walk. It looks like a gorgeous place to be and wander.

1 Like

Very ethereal Igor. I too would clone out the fifty gallon drum. It just seems out of place in this beautifully dreamy scene.

This object in this scene gives me a feeling of peaceful solitude.

I came across this today and thought I’d share it. I didn’t know where so I might as well do it here. Easier to not do realism with a paintbrush than it is with a camera but it can be done.

1 Like

Thank you, Igor for sharing this quote by Georgia O’Keeffe. I do agree with her quote and am a huge admirer of her life and works. Also agree with your thoughts of realism and struggle with it everytime I pick up my camera.

Some days are diamonds…

Other days you wonder if you’re past your “Best by” date, feeling cast aside by those who used to value your service, mired in loneliness, a shell of what you used to be, waiting to be reclaimed by the earth you came from. And yet, the beauty of nature thrives on. This image evokes those times when you revel in melencholy and wonder what’s the meaning of it all anyway.

Come, get up, they say itʼs morning
And if youʼre not the one itʼs dawning for
There hasnʼt ever been a day more opportune
To sit out than this one
Just let the sun pour in through the window for no one
‘Cause I
I know how you feel

“Things happen for a reason”
Is what weʼre always told
For a moment I believed it
But now itʼs getting old
If your dreams are taking beatings
Iʼll join you on the floor
(People Whither, Feng Suave)

My first reaction was a sense of sadness as it seems to be a quite depressing scene, followed by the question of Why? The lighting on the other hand is one of cheer, so the juxtaposition of what the light is conveying and what the subject is conveying is a great juxtaposition.

2 Likes

I like the uncertainty of this image. I consider that a positive.

Igor,

My ‘Why?’ question is not so much as to why you made the photo, but rather, why is that half barrel just sitting there in that shallow water?

1 Like

Late to the show, but I’ll chime in anyway (haven’t read anyone’s comments). Your title (Alone) relays my first reaction - that the old barrel is alone. But the soft color and gentle textures give this a sense of calmness, as does your squarish aspect ratio. The barrel is done with life and has gone to heaven.

(off to read comments…)

Isn’t your description of hearing soft music then discordance a story of sorts? How do we describe an emotion? I think it’s usually by relating a “scene” or a story to which we attach an emotional resonance.

As far as this image goes, I didn’t get a feeling of discordance, probably because this is a scene that doesn’t feel discordant to me in reality - I see things like this all the time (not necessarily in the desert, but just the flotsam of humankind in “pristine” nature).

1 Like

What does this image make me feel? My first reaction was intrigue and a desire to explore. The image is so barren that I totally sense the “alone” feeling and yet it being so bright and cheerful I don’t feel any loneliness but rather the desire to run around and enjoy the beautiful day. - that’s what I get from the image and yes, I like it very much. I like that half of it is blue and the other half yellow. I like the half barrel and how it’s balanced out by the big white breaking wave and I also think that the squarish crop really suits this.